Please sign in to post.

Salzburg

I am traveling through Austria in late December. I should be in Salzburg by the 28th. I want to spend some time in Salzburg, I need to stop In Linz, and will go on to Vienna. Because of the New Years holiday I am wondering if it males sense to stay in Salzburg from the 28-2 and visit Linz and surrounding areas on a day trip or would it make sense to only spend a few days in Salzburg and move o toward Vienna before the first. I am assuming most places will be closed the first so would like to avoid travel that day. Thoughts on if 6 days in Salzburg is too much?

Posted by
20087 posts

I am assuming most places will be closed the first so would like to avoid travel that day.

Seems a bit oxymoronic. If nothing is open that would make it a good day to travel. You would not miss anything.

That said, my gut says New Years Eve and New Years Day will have more going on in Vienna. For one thing, there are the famous Vienna Philharmonic concerts on New Years Eve and Day. Maybe you will get lucky and get tickets in the lottery at https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/en/konzerte/new-years-concert/10249/

You might also win the Powerball lottery.

Posted by
1906 posts

Maybe you will get lucky and get tickets in the lottery ...

The lottery starts usually end of January for the next concert.

Actually the odds for winning are much better than for the Powerball lottery, given that about 100000 applicants compete for about 400 seats.

Posted by
15 posts

My teen decided for us, she didn't like the idea of 6 days in one place so we are spending 3 nights near Salzburg and New Years Eve and New Years day in Melk. Then onto Vienna.