Please sign in to post.

Salzburg Day Trips

My mom and I will likely be doing a two week Southern Germany and Austria trip come late May or early June. We'll be in Salzburg at least two nights but we were thinking about adding a third (we'll likely be coming from Garmisch-Partenkirchen via Innsbruck into Salzburg), with the plan to either day trip down to Halstatt or go over to Berchtesgarden/Koeningsee, potentially to see Bad Reichenhall or another of the small Bavarian towns the way back.

We don't have firm plans right this second though we lean towards doing Berchtesgarden. I was more just wondering if anyone has done that trip into Germany from Salzburg and if there were any border crossing issues? I know the EU is drastically different in terms of border management and there often times isn't anything even marking borders but I was curious about anyone's experience? We will have a rental car.

Do you have a preference Halstatt vs Koeningsee? And before anyone says it, yes I know both lakes/places are touristy.

Posted by
7126 posts

While you are at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, we stayed a couple of nights in nearby Mittenwald. I really enjoyed the quaint violin museum which contained so much history of the town, plus excellent exhibits of violin-making.

We stayed several days in Salzburg and then took the bus to St. Gilgen and boat to St. Wolfgang to stay a few nights in that wonderful village. It’s much closer than Hallstatt, if you want another lake option.

We traveled by train from Germany to Austria, but there’s no border crossing checks.

Posted by
5362 posts

There are no border issues. No need to rent a car for Berchtesgaden. Just take the local bus.

Posted by
1507 posts

This last summer there were border crossing issues, namely the Bavarian police had set up semipermanent checks at major border points. The highway access from Salzburg to Germany had queues, sometimes in the order of 30 minutes / 1 hour. Crossing at minor border points (for example, on the road from the Salzburg airport to Bad Reichenhall) was quicker; there were no checks in the opposite direction, entering Austria from Germany. This was probably a political move of displaying a stern face and probably won't last after elections in Bavaria next week.

IMHO if you are staying only two or three days in Salzburg, you should spend time in Salzburg instead of day tripping. Bad Reichenhall is a nice quiet town, quite modern in aspect, not really interesting unless you attend spa for throat ailments. Berchtesgaden is more interesting (but not as much as Salzburg). Considering that big crowds are reported in Halstatt, I would prefer Bad Ischl and/or the lakes region. From Salzburg, the Herrenchiemsee castle is not distant, but a day of good weather is necessary to make the visit.

Posted by
768 posts

If you do take the Bus to Berchtesgaden (I've done it twice), you start at at the train station, cross the parking lot where Most of the buses are parked, and cross the main street. There's a bus stop ON that street where the bus picks people up. You pay the driver several Euros (8?)

At Berchtesgaden, you can other buses, to either Konigsee, or Hitler's Hideout.

Posted by
2300 posts

We spent 3 weeks driving through Germany, Austria, Slovenia & Italy in June/July and were never stopped at a border. We stayed 5 nights near Hallein, about 10 minutes south of Salzburg. Fabulous apartment called Landhaus Armstorfer, on booking.com. It’s about 25 minutes from Berchtesgaden. Easy day trip. We went to Eagles Nest, which has a stunning view on a clear day. We also went to Hallstatt, which is my favorite place in the world, even with the crowds. I would suggest staying there one night so you can be there after the crowds leave. So 2 nights in Salzburg, with a day in Salzburg and a day in Berchtesgaden. And one night in Hallstatt.

We stopped in Mittenwald on the way from Venice to Munich. Wished we could have stayed a night. You’ll love the area.

Posted by
703 posts

IMO I think its a great idea to add another day. there is so much to see and do in and around salzburg. great time of year to go. with a car you have so many options, to see and do each day.
we were driving around there, last year in june and like our previous trip there, drove around without being stopped.( or even seeing any police) you cross the border and if you didn't look for the country sign you wouldn't know. the road from salzburg to berchtesgaden ( driven numerous times) is just a country road, don't expect to see a border stop etc.

we have stayed in Hallstatt and berchtesgaden and ramsau. its a difficult choice, they are different.

BTW if you want a 'similar lake experience' with a lot less tourists think of driving to one of the other lakes in the area and do a hike etc, for example, like the locals do at hintersee, and the nearby national park.
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5974466,12.8415029,16.56z
hope this helps.