Please sign in to post.

Salzburg Card

I see that this card is promoted on the official Salzburg tourist site. It describes free buss rides and various attractions.

Anybody use it and what are your thoughts,,,,,

Posted by
5697 posts

We DID use it on one trip, and broke even because we took the pricey cable-car ride on the outskirts of town as part of a 4-day card, but like all cards of this sort you have to run the numbers of what you want to see and how long you have to see it. There was a boat ride promised, but it had shut down for the season. So much to see outside Salzburg and so many non-card musical events that you really have to prioritize, not just go someplace because it's on the card.

Posted by
3858 posts

A friend and I used the card during the Salzburger Festspiele two years ago. I think we had a 72-hour card and did significantly better than breaking even. I agree with Laura, though. Figure out what you would like to see/do in and around Salzburg and then determine whether the Card is worth it for you.

Posted by
2026 posts

We used it extensively and it more than paid for itself. We checked it out on arrival and, as I recall, waited to take advantage of free days for specific sights before actually activating the card (though this part is a bit fuzzy). It included transportation. One day we took the bus to the cable car, and on the return ride to town visited Hellbrunn. Those two alone practically covered the cost of the pass. Took a boat ride, visited a brewery, did lots of things we wouldn't have done. It has many offerings and included just about everything we had intended to do. We sat down with the card and planned our entire itinerary around it; we thought it was one of the best travel deals we've ever found. Safe travels. Salzburg is beautiful.

Posted by
6108 posts

I agree with Denny.
We took his advice and planned our 4 nights in/around Salzburg using the Salzburg Card. For us, it more than paid for itself as well.

We arrived by train, bought the card at station and used it immediately for bus to our hotel. So convenient. Unfortunately when we were there the Untersberg Cable Car was closed so we couldn't do that.
When you do the math just check to see if any sights are closed.

Loved Salzburg.