Please sign in to post.

Salzburg Accommodations

Hello All:
Previously I got a great recommendation for the Lida Guest House in Prague. So asking if any of you know of any nice Pensions in Salzburg, preferably closer to the Altstadt or near a tram line, for August. Inexpensive hotels would also be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
19099 posts

I don't know how serious you are about inexpensive. I think hotels actually in Salzburg, near the Altstadt, are pretty expensive. Three times, when I was just using Salzburg as a transfer point, I've stayed in Freilassing, across the river from Salzburg in Germany. From there, it's just 20 minutes by bus to Hanuschplatz, in the old town. From the Freilassing Bahnhof it's 11 minutes by S-Bahn or regional train to the Salzburg Hbf.

I've stayed at Hotel Rupertus two times. It's actually a restaurant with a few rooms in the back. It's nicer inside than it appears from the outside. The price is right at 55€ for a double room. The bus to Hanuschplatz stops a block away, and to the Freilassing Bahnhof, with trains to Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, and Munich is a short walk.. There is a link on the website to send an email for information or reservations. Although the website is only in German, Herr Qudoba speaks good English.

I also stayed at Hotel Krone one time while visiting both Berchtesgaden and Salzburg. It's a little closer to the Freilassing train station, a little farther from the bus to Hanuschplatz. It's a little nicer, maybe, but pricier and maybe no less expensive than in town.

Posted by
32213 posts

Gerry,

I stayed at Hotel Krone 1512 a few months ago, and would certainly recommend it. It's an older property but nicely maintained and the room provided all the basics. The serve a good breakfast and the service was great. The bar adjacent to the front desk gets a bit "smoky" at night, but I didn't go in there so it wasn't a problem.

It's not a long walk from there to the Alstadt (across the bridge, maybe 10 minutes). There are some good restaurants near the hotel, and it's not far from there to the rail station.