Please sign in to post.

salzburg

I will be in salzburg in sept. I was there several years ago and did the sound of music tour, eagles nest etc. This time I would like to add a trip to the silent night chapel just outside of salzburg. Any one done this???

Posted by
519 posts

May I asked what Sound of Music tour you did and how you liked it?

Posted by
211 posts

Panorama. I liked it. excellent tour guide....many salzburg stops, then a beautiful country ride to get to the church where the actual wedding was filmed. So, to me it was sites and narration of the sound of music, combined with an opportunity to see the area outside of salzburg. all in all, well worth the cost.

Posted by
1529 posts

Yes, I have done the silent night chapel. The chapel stands where the abside of the church where the song was first performed once was; unfortunately the whole village including the church was destroyed in a flooding and had to be moved one mile uphill as floodings were too frequent. There is a tiny museum and the view of nearby Laufen, Germany, surrounded by a meander of river Saalach is impressive (the river still looks positively bad). The place is worth a couple of hours plus travel time.

Posted by
211 posts

do you have any details? From salzburg by local train? distance from bnf? can you walk it?

Posted by
5835 posts

Google Maps By train assuming 11:09 am departure tomorrow:

Depart 11:09 am Salzburg Central Train Station at 17, Südtiroler Platz
Train RB 63054Landshut(Bay)Hbf
4 stops to Laufen(Oberbay) arrive 11:55 am
Walk About 25 min , 2.2 km (Uusal cautions about mapping not necessarily safe for walking).
Arrive Stille Nacht Kapelle
Stille Nacht-Platz 1, 5110 Oberndorf bei Salzburg, Austria

Best to ask at the TI or your hotel.

Posted by
19092 posts

There is a train station in Oberndorf, and you can get there from the Salzburg Hbf. From there it is about a 9/10 km (½ mi) walk to the chapel, or you can take one of a number of buses to Altoberndorf or Stille Nacht Platz, from which it is about a 1 minute walk.

Posted by
2407 posts

The light rail - lokalbahn - departs every half hour from the hbf to Oberndorf