Please sign in to post.

Salzberg Visit - Early May, 2024

As part of a 2 1/2 day visit to Salzberg where we will be staying, we wish to visit Hallstatt. We would plan to spend a full day in Hallstatt. My plan is to rent a car in Salzberg and drive to Hallstatt. We have watched Rick Steves travel video in Hallstatt and plan to use that as a guide to what we will do during our visit. At this point, it looks like the best place to rent a car is at an airport location but I thought another option might be to secure a rental at our hotel location (Sheraton Grand).

Thoughts / recommendations on my tentative plan would be very much appreciated.

Posted by
1919 posts

Going by car to Hallstatt is not the best idea. The town is tiny, population 650 vs tourists 10000, and parking is very limited.

There are two routes from Salzburg to Hallstatt using public transport:

1: Salzburg to Attnang-Puchheim (express train), Attnang-Puchheim to Hallstatt (local train).
2: Salzburg to Bad Ischl (bus #150), Bad Ischl to Hallstatt (local train).

The travel time is about the same for both options. Option 2 is more scenic than option 1. If you choose option 2 and have enough time, I recommend a short visit of Bad Ischl. Walk to the famous "Zauner" café and pastry store and buy the unique "Zauner-Stollen".

The ferry from Hallstatt train station to Hallstatt town runs according to the arrival/departure times of all trains.

If you choose option 2 for going to Hallstatt and option 1 for going back to Salzburg you will see a lot of the scenery in that area, e.g., the train will pass lake Traun.

Bad Ischl and the Salzkammergut area is the European Capital of Culture in 2024, so you may decide to spend more time there.
https://www.salzkammergut-2024.at/en/home/

Posted by
5400 posts

I have to second what wmt1 wrote above - driving to Hallstatt is a nightmare because of the parking. It is really so much better to visit using public transportation as described.

If you do insist on renting a car, then I would point out that there are several major rental counters at the train station, which is a few blocks away from your hotel. Budget, Avis, Thrifty and Hertz are all there.

Posted by
865 posts

I have driven to Hallstatt once. Unless you arrive early, expect to have difficulty parking. In fact, I recommend arriving very early to beat the crush for a little while. Car rental is available near the train station on Ferdinand-Porsche-Straße.