Please sign in to post.

Saltzburg- Sound of Music Tour in January 2016

I'll be in Saltzburg in January 2016. My wife is a big SOM fan and would like to do a SOM tour. I know that nobody can predict the weather but any comments (good or bad) from travelers that have previously taken the tour during this very cold month. I'm wondering if the fact that it is winter restricts the value of taking he tour.

Also, are the salt mines open in the winter months??

Posted by
5835 posts

We did the Panorama SOM Tour 1A mid-January 2014. If anything, weather was a motivator in doing the tour in that forecast called for off and on rain showers and single digit Celsius air temperature. While the tour involved multiple stops we stayed a lot dryer than we would have walking about on our own.

Given that fewer folks do winter tours, the tour company used a minivan in place of a coach sized bus and our guide did both the driving and talking. We only had 6 clients in our group.

The minivan made some of the in town sights more accessible. We could stop and get out to view Maria's Abbey. Even stopped to view the Red Bull in international headquarters out in the countryside.