As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I’m finally returning to Europe! I’m attending a conference in Vienna in late March. I land in Vienna (after connecting through Amsterdam) around 11:30am on a Monday, and the conference starts at 1pm on Tuesday. Our hotel is near but outside the Ring; if the Ring were a clock it would be at about the 10. The conference itself will be in the Museum Quarter. I’ve been to Vienna several times, but it’s been ten years, and I’ve never arrived by plane. Places I’ve seen on previous trips: Hofburg Imperial Apartments; St. Stephen’s, including tower, but it was always covered in scaffolding; Vienna State Opera Tour; Kunsthistorisches Museum; Schoenbrunn; World Museum Vienna; Albertina; Kaisergruft; Haus der Musik. Most of these places, I’ve been to multiple times.
Here are my questions:
1) Assuming I land ontime, I should be at my hotel around 1pm - or am I over/underestimating the timing?
2) While I’ve visited the Imperial Apartments and Sisi Museum several times, I’ve missed the Treasury! I definitely want to see these. Is it worth it to do the guided tour at 1600? How is the cafe? I’m thinking it might be worth it to eat at the cafe and then tour the Treasury. I’d also like to see the National Library.
3) Given the combo ticket and proximity, I’m thinking I would tour the Kunst again on Tuesday morning - unless someone has another suggestion?
4) I’m a historian of Central Europe, interested in art up to the turn of the twentieth century but not really into modern art. That said, what are people’s thoughts/experiences at the Belvedere Palace? I don’t dislike Klimt, but nor am I a huge fan. However, if it helps, I didn’t really know Mucha’s work but loved his museum in Prague.
4) Thoughts/experiences at the Museum of Military History? I’d like to go, but not at the expense of seeing the Treasury.
5) Something I’ve always missed but would like to see- the Naschmarkt. Worthwhile on such limited time? Best places to eat there?
I forgot to note above, when last I travelled I handled jet lag pretty well the further east I went, and slept especially well on the second leg. So I’m hoping I’ll be tired but functional on the afternoon of arrival, and plan on going to bed early. That said, I don’t want to overpack the afternoon.