Please sign in to post.

Restaurants

I will be in Vienna in May, where are your favorite places to eat ?

Posted by
4637 posts

You posted twice the same post. Delete one so you have all your replies under one roof.

Posted by
2393 posts

We loved 3/4 takt on Praterstrausse. The schnitzel was wonderful.

Posted by
5697 posts

SchnitzelWirt near Mariahilferstrasse (listed in RS Vienna book) -- one schnitzel, two orders of potato salad made a full meal for two.

Posted by
1900 posts

There are more than 3000 places where you can eat in Vienna.

This is Vienna's most comprehensive compilation of restaurants, cafés, bars, etc.:
https://www.falter.at/lokalfuehrer/wien/?count=10&landing=0
It is in German only, but using the drop down menus you can filter easily by location (i.e. city borough), type of place (e.g. restaurant), type of cuisine, and other features (e.g. open on Sunday).
If you check the feature "Empfohlen" (= recommended), then you are on the safe side.

Posted by
14507 posts

I would recommend "Schnitzel Wirt" at 52 Neubaugasse, not far from the U-Bahn stop by that name, down from Westbahnhof. ...great taste, copious portions, good prices.

Posted by
1900 posts

It all depends on what type of cuisine you want to explore. "Schnitzelwirt" is good for getting big meals at a moderate price, but it is just basic cuisine. The Viennese and Austrian cuisine (which are not the same) have much more to offer at a somewhat higher level, and I am not talking about posh Michelin star rated places.

Posted by
5381 posts

Agree with wmt1 - one can only eat so much fried meat. I can tell you Viennese don't eat this way at home.

Posted by
2393 posts

I do not know about others but I do not fly all the way to Europe to eat what I can easily find at home. In Vienna I will look for traditional Viennese - food schnitzels, sausages, torts. apfelstrudel, and this trip I will look for Goulash.

Most people do not eat the same at home as they do when dining out. We typically split meals out - it it usually too much food for one and I hate throwing away 2 half eaten meals - seems wasteful.

Posted by
5381 posts

Well when someone asks me my favorite restaurants in Vienna, as a resident I'm not going to list out a dozen schnitzel places. My perspective is obviously different. I eat "Austrian" tourist food as little as possible.