Please sign in to post.

Recommendations for trip to Salzburg and Lucerne/somewhere in Switzerland - July 2017

Hello,

First time posting here. Wanted to reach out to the experts to see if what we are planning is reasonable or just crazy.

I'm traveling with wife and 2 kids (17 and 13) along with my parents (both 79 years). Will be first trip to EU for kids. We are flying in to Frankfurt July 5 and get in at 7 am or so. I don't want to stay in a big city and would like to get on a train immediately and head to Salzburg to use as a base to explore for 5 days or so - see the city, Hallstatt, other areas recommended?? Am I crazy in trying to do this? Have no idea what the logistics are in getting to a train that goes to Salzburg from Frankfurt airport. Any suggestions?

Once in Salzburg, I will try and book an apartment through vrbo or airbnb given 6 adults - I think a hotel would be too expensive - or am I wrong here? What is the best way to explore the surrounding areas and the city itself? Am willing to buy a train pass if that makes sense but not sure. Any suggestions on where to go for day excursions other than Hallstatt?

On July 9th or 10th, we would like to go explore Switzerland for about 4 days. Thinking of using Lucerne as our base - or maybe Interlaken - would love to get some recommendations? Same questions as Salzburg also applies here - what is the best way to get to the Swiss city of choice from Salzburg - I would think train but not sure if I should buy a pass that covers all these travels or just do one off purchases. What is the best way to see the surrounding areas? We would all need to get back to Frankfurt on July 14th.

Given ages of group and potential luggage, I am keeping the itinerary to 2 "home base" locations and exploring from there. Consensus is that everyone wants to see Austria and Switzerland. I don't mind renting a car but with 6 adults and luggage, it would have to be a big one and I don't want to navigate a big car through the mountains. I've heard trains are great to see scenic areas and very convenient. Don't know if the passes cover the local travel as well.

Bottom line is we all really want to see beautiful alpine scenery and towns and not be too rushed while doing so. We also want to have a well laid out plan before we go. Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions you may have and for reading by lengthy first post. All advice is much appreciated!!

Posted by
509 posts

" explore Switzerland for about 4 days. Thinking of using Lucerne as our base - or maybe Interlaken "

This is highly subjective, but: I think you'll find more options to explore from Interlaken than Lucerne. The latter is beautiful, but 2 days would be sufficient. From Interlaken you have fast, reliable and easy rail access into the Jungfrau region for places like Grindlewald, Wengen, the amazing Jungfraujoch (pretty much an all-day affair), Murren, etc., etc. See details here: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/jungfrau-region.html

You didn't comment on the mobility of your parents but with a bit of strategic planning, you could also do moderate hikes from point A to B with the kids, and send your parents ahead by rail or cable car. The region exceedingly tourist-friendly with the network of well-marked trails of varying difficulty and parallel transit options via gondola, cable car, cog-rail, etc. Your parents are certain to find a welcoming gasthaus with food, beverage and great views at the other end if they choose not to walk with you. Bern is also easy to get to on a day-trip from Interlaken. Also pleasant boat outings on the lakes flanking Interlaken are another option. Using the "Search" button on the RS Forum page for Switzerland should produce more and better ideas.

Posted by
3 posts

RCA - thanks so much for the advice and input on the Swiss leg of the tour. Will look up the Switzerland forums. Parents probably cannot do a lot of excessive hiking so having a parallel and easy path for them would be ideal. Thanks again!

Posted by
509 posts

bhatiar,

I just sent a PM with thoughts on locations and day trips that might suit the Swiss leg of your multi-generational holiday.

rca

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks much rca!

Any recommendations on what the best ticket/pass to get for travel within Austria (Salzburg, Hallstatt, etc.) and also to and within Switzerland?

Posted by
509 posts

Sorry, can't help much with Austria rail. (We're using rental car later this year for Salzburg/Salzkammergut/Vienna/Prague.) Others may chime in with specific tips. I suspect you might be able to get to Salzburg easily by straight rail tickets, and use tour buses to get to Hallstatt, etc. from Salzburg for day-trips. The RS book should have that info.