Please sign in to post.

Quick train ticket question

Hi again. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Can someone translate this into American English for me?

Standard single tickets are valid up to 2 days in respective of the
route
- irrespective of sales channel chosen.

If I buy a train ticket for August 10, 2 pm, how does the above text apply?

Thanks!!

Posted by
1912 posts

You can interrupt your journey at any train station and as often as you want, as long as you stay on the booked route and the two days are not exhausted.

E.g. when going from Vienna to Salzburg, you may stop in Linz, visit the city (what I can recommend, by the way), and continue your ride to Salzburg.

Posted by
2680 posts

Thanks wmt1! So, if I buy a ticket for 2 pm I have to get on that 2pm train, but can stop along the way?

Or, if I buy a ticket for 2 pm, can I get on a later train because itโ€™s the same route?

Iโ€™m still trying to see if I can buy my tickets ahead of time. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Posted by
1912 posts

The standard tickets, i.e. highest price, are valid for two days. Within that time frame you can use any train available on the booked route. You can even switch between express and local trains to reach destinations where express trains do not stop. But you have always to travel in forward direction on your route.

You do not book a standard ticket for a certain train, although you select one when booking to define the start of the validity of that ticket.

Most people try to book cheaper tickets, which are bound to a specific train.

Posted by
2680 posts

Thanks wmt1! I appreciate the help. Again. ๐Ÿ˜Š So, if I'm understanding correctly, for my train tickets from the airport, I would want to buy tickets for the earliest train I think I can make. I would be able to get on that train or a later train. I would still need to check for seat availability and reserve those if possible.

As long as I am still working and have money, Iโ€™m willing to spend a little more for convenience.

Posted by
1912 posts

Carrie, you are welcome. And you are understanding correctly. The standard ticket allows you to choose trains. Seat reservation is dependent on the specific train and has to be considered independently.

On OeBB's booking page, after you have selected your ticket scroll down for "Extras" as there are some special offers for tourists.