Please sign in to post.

Pocket Vienna (2020) or Vienna & etc (2019)

We will be in Vienna for six days, arriving non-stop from Boston the morning of April 30 and departing for Israel mid-afternoon on May 6. For planning purposes, I've been using the most recent, 2019 edition of the Vienna, Salzburg & Tirol guidebook. For taking on the trip, I'm trying to decide between the electronic versions of that book and the brand-new Pocket Vienna, possibly photocopying the pages for Melk, Durnstein, and Krems from my physical copy of the 2019 book.

There being no physical reason to prefer one electronic version over the other, I'm wondering whether the recency of Pocket Vienna should decide. I've noticed, for example, that admission prices in the 2019 book generally are out of date.

TIA

Posted by
4140 posts

Considering that you will use the kindle edition , take the full book . There is more detail than the pocket version , but both will cover Vienna's major sites . I do not think any changes in prices should be a consideration . After all , you will have gone far to go to Vienna , and missing a site due to the cost would be unwise .

Posted by
7 posts

If it’s only that prices are a couple Euros too low, I agree that we’re likely better off with the more comprehensive (2019) guidebook. But is that the case? In other words, is the pocket (2020) guidebook essentially a cut-and-paste of relevant elements of the 2019 book?

Posted by
4140 posts

Sorry , I thought you were referring to the admission prices , not the price of the books . The pocket version is , indeed a " cut and paste " incarnation . Showing my age , it is like a " Reader's Digest Condensed Book " of the fifties and sixties .

Posted by
613 posts

The only way to get accurate admission prices is to go to the web site of the attraction. For a guide book, Buy a used Michelin Green guide to Vienna on the web. Its the best guide book and its cheap, being used (there is no current edition).

Posted by
27092 posts

There's very good information on this website about how the guidebooks differ. Go here and click on "Is This the Right Book for Me?"

Posted by
8434 posts

Just noting that while 2020 versions of any of the guides might be fresher, its still based on data and information that may have been collected over at best a year ago, due to the time it takes to write and publish a new edition. I don't think you can ever take the price information as anything other than an indicator of the relative cost.