Please sign in to post.

Plan for trip to Vienna Xmas 2024

Hi
Advanced planning for my trip to Vienna to spend my Christmas there. Family of 4. With kids age 10 and 16. How many days is enough? Prague, Hallstatt, anywhere else ?
Where are the places to visit and stay?
Christmas market, salt mines, museums, lakes, alpine peaks, alps .
Hope to get some advise.

Posted by
4704 posts

There is a wealth of recent, detailed, info already posted here on the Forum. I'd recommend you conduct searches regarding each question, review posted Trip Reports, and review comments under the respected countries. Also, Facebook has several EuropeanChristmas markets groups that you can join. At present, your questions are fairly broad and general. Please do additional research and come back with our more targeted questions.
You have lots of time, enjoy your planning!

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=2y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=Christmas+markets&utf8=%E2%9C%93

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=1y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=Vienna+Christmas+markets&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Posted by
3 posts

Agree with above comment. Just one suggestion at this point. Check out Budapest. Easy rail ride from Vienna (2.5 hours assuming trains are running on time) and well worth the diversion. Just finished Christmas market trip to Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Munich and Budapest ranks at the top. Really don't overlook it.

Posted by
17919 posts

Train, VIENNA TO:

BRATISLAVA, SK. 1:05
SOPRON., HU. 1:10
GYOR, HU. 1:20
BUDAPEST, HU. 2:20
SALZBURG, AT 2:20
GRAZ, AT 2:30
HALLSTATT, AT 3:30
PRAGUE, CZ 4:20 hrs

Posted by
4080 posts

Use all the days you can get. There are plenty of wonderful places to visit - and your major cost will be your airfare.

Once you have how many nights available established, we can better help with how to divide it.

Posted by
129 posts

Fly in from Singapore to Vienna in Dec 2024
Hallstatt, Salzburg, Prague .
How should I plan? Flew in to Vienna or Munich?
Round trip or?
How many days is enough in each cities? Looking at about 9-10 days
Want to visit the alps.. where? Any day trip tour available?

Posted by
3 posts

Hey Mr. E: Budapest may not have the best Christmas markets, I think that honor goes to Vienna or maybe Prague, but Budapest is the city we would love to return to some day.

Posted by
17919 posts

Actually the market in Budapest has gotten some recognition as the best in Europe this year and its 4rd out of the last 5 years. But all those awards are at best subjective so I would simply say, much better than the average.

Posted by
17919 posts