Please sign in to post.

Places to visit...

I'm still work shopping our trip in Sept and had been contemplating Switzerland, Venice and Austria - but I want to see too many places in Swit to make our time frame work, so I'm thinking of just concentrating on Venice (and stopping in places like Verona, Vicenza, Bolzano) and Austria and saving Swit for another time.

So, we've ***already been* to Salzburg** and don't need to return. Looking at a map, Innsbruck jumps out at me, And Vienna is on hubby's must see list. Also contemplating Linz. If you had 9 nights for Austria, how would you split them up. I was thinking of Hallstatt, but it seems to me it's starting to turn in Cinque Terre, so I'm not really caring if we go.

I'm 90% sure we won't have a car and will be relying on trains. Odds are we will be coming from Venice/Bolzano, passing thru Austria, and maybe heading for Prague...

Posted by
671 posts

If you like to hike, I would say 2 nights in Innsbruck. We enjoyed walking around the city, but the highlight was hiking above Innsbruck and stopping at those lovely Alpine "huts" for food and drink.

Posted by
3847 posts

How about Graz? A great city that North Americans never visit.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

Sorry, I missed not seeing Linz. Have you decided on that town? A very interesting place, especially if you're into modern Austrian and European history. Numerous monuments and plaques on churches, on the Nibelungen Bridge, etc.

Linz is the province capital. It has a chateau/Schloss that features special exhibits pertaining to history, eg, Oberösterreich zwischen den Kriegen" (Upper Austria between the war, the inter-war years).

If I had nine nights in Austria, I would absolutely drop Hallstatt...forget it. Spend the time in Linz, Graz (as suggested), also a province capital and Vienna. Choose from these places.

How you divide up the time depends a lot on your priorities and interests. I like visiting all 3 of these towns/cities but know Graz the least since I only did two day trips there. Last summer's trip in Vienna, I took a day trip out to Wiener Neustadt (again) and then from there to Leoben....historically and culturally interesting to see other towns.

Posted by
856 posts

Innsbruck is one of my favorite cities. You can day trip out of here for 4/5 days, then 4/5 days in Vienna (also one of my favorite cities). You are looking at an 8-10 hour train ride to Vienna from Venice, so that is going to eat up an entire day. It is a much shorter train journey (5-6 hrs.) to Innsbruck, so I would suggest going there first. And you will have Verona and Bolzano along the way.

Have a great trip!