Please sign in to post.

Opera Dress

We will be in Salzburg and Vienna in late April, early May and will be attending performances at the Landestheatre in Salzburg, St. Charles Church (The Requeim) and the Volksopra in Vienna. What is the dress? Would a middle aged man stand out in a sports jacket and tie? Do ladies need to wear dresses and dress shoes? We hate to have to pack formal wear - even a suit. Thanks -

Posted by
4140 posts

I assume that you are asking whether a sport jacket and tie would be considered in a negative light ? I think that would be fine . I don't think you need to consider either Black or White tie . I pack VERY light on my trips ( my soft fabric hand grip is 15 pounds ) , and while I feel jeans and T shirts are in poor taste in concert halls and similar venues , you are not likely to get tossed out on your ear ( although , you might in Monte Carlo ) I always come prepared with a dress shirt and tie for such events , and seem to fit in without sticking out .

Posted by
5382 posts

The Volksoper is very casual. You might stand out in a tie as most will be more dressed down. Same goes for the Karlskirche. There is no dress code at either of these locations and I doubt anyone will care what you are wearing.

Posted by
527 posts

Been to the Volksoper many times and it was always a casual affair.

Posted by
17913 posts

I don't doubt anyone. If I zoom into the photos I found it looks like the folks up in the balcony are more casual. Or all these photos might just be special events; but its odd I cant find any photos showing anything more casual. Hmmmmmm. I think I will stick to my wrinkle proof sports coat. At worst I overdressed; at best I am considerate. I'm still trying to get my head around this one.

http://www.iwallpapersfive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/volksoper-vienna-day-7---attending-performances-in-morning-and-at-night----in.jpg

http://thebesttravelled.com/upload/stories/3727/4196_P1050334.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2qQz-DPB5AU/Uh03eRaO43I/AAAAAAAAAhU/51pCWX26HSw/s1600/2013-06-01+03.15.52.jpg

Posted by
500 posts

Like most opera houses in the world, avoid jeans and sneakers. What do you mean "stand out" in a sports jacket and tie? You'll be perfectly formal. (Nobody wears a tux or black tie to the opera unless you are attending a gala opening night at the Met or La Scala. Or unless you are onstage in costume ;)

Posted by
17913 posts

Jtraveler; sort of what I thought based on various venues we have attended in Central and Eastern Europe ..... and the US. But people keep telling me I am wrong. Sort of think people see what they want to see; possibly me too, I did read one comment in one forum post where the woman who attended a performance dressed inappropriately announced that "she survived it" just fine and implied that others would too. I always sort of thought it was as much about the other patrons and not just your ability to not care. Guess I am just an old pompous arse from a time long, long ago.

Posted by
500 posts

In the US it seems some Americans will wear sneakers and jeans as a point of pride - an attitude I do not understand because it looks selfish and disrespectful to the performers and to the house - but I have heard of people being turned away at La Scala for that. In Vienna and at German opera houses I have definitely gotten away with wearing jeans and a nice shirt and jacket, however. I plan to do some operagoing in italy this year and will bring a tie in my suitcase and a light, wrinkle resistant jacket to throw on.

Posted by
17913 posts

Jtraveler

Its so easy. I have a regulation wrinkle proof blue sports coat with lots of pockets that I just wear on the plane. I have a lightweight pair of wrinkle proof grey trousers and a wrinkle proof blue shirt. the trousers and the shirt fit in my carry on just fine (along with a pair black rubber soled shoes). Now I can go to the theater, out for a nice dinner, or just wear it to sightsee. The rest of the wardrobe in warm weather is technical clothing for fishing. Washes in the sink and dries in 30 minutes. Everything fits in a carry on. Funny thing, when I dress a little better, I generally get better service. Imagine that....... We attended a New Years Gala this year that required a tux, I will admit that took an extra suite case. WARNING: Talk like this really makes some individuals indignant and downright mean.

Posted by
500 posts

Indignant? Mean? whatever could you mean.

I sat at Carnegie Hall recently and watched a guy in tshirt, jeans and sneaks in the front row - his long legs outstretched in leisure such that they almost touched the stage, on which one of the great orchestras of the world was in the midst of a performance. It was so incredibly insulting and disrespectful. I was thinking, it's too bad there isn't a firm dress policy like La Scala, where they don't care if you have a ticket or not -- you may not enter like that. What's wrong with that?