Please sign in to post.

One Last Train Question

Hello, I thought I was all done purchasing train tickets, but now we have to meet some friends of ours in Munich for the day while we are staying in Salzburg. I have looked on the OBB website, but the prices for the trip seem pretty high (76 Euro for one way for one adult and one child), and I don't see any Sparshein prices, so I am wondering if there is a cheaper alternative I am overlooking. I looked on Germany's rail site too, and that seems equally expensive. Are there any one day passes, specials, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted by
4637 posts

You are not saying when you go. If it is this September it is possible that discounted tickets were already sold. Try different times. If nothing discounted, try bus. They are usually cheaper. Or maybe even door to door shuttle if you are more of you. The more people the cheaper per person.

Posted by
20081 posts

Yes, get a Bayern Ticket. 26 EUR for the first person and 5 EUR for each additional person up to 5 traveling together. You must leave after 9 am if it is a week day, anytime on weekends and holidays. Only use the Meridian regional trains, one every hour. The ticket will also act as a Munich transit ticket for the day. Return on the Meridian train anytime up to the last one of the day.
I am thinking there should be a Deutsche Bahn ticket machine at Salzburg Hbf where you can buy it. Or the ticket window, but at least in Germany,there is a 2 EUR fee for doing this.
Edit- What age is the child? Might be free.

Posted by
148 posts

Sam, that sounds perfect. Thank you! And it will let me travel in Austria too? Is there any way to buy it now or should I just wait until we are in Salzburg? Also, how do I know which trains are regional? For example, the fastest train seems to be RJ, but I also see EC, and some just have a picture of a train? Can I take the RJ with the pass?

Posted by
16893 posts

You cannot take either RJ or EC trains with the Bayern ticket - only the Meridian departures, departing Salzburg about hourly at :15 after the hour. On this route, they are only slightly slower than the others.

Kids age 6-14 are free if you buy a regular ticket for the two of you together. An adult ticket with or without free child would top out at a maximum of 37 euros each way for full fare, 2nd class, on the Rail Jet. Or as low as 20 euros each way advance discount if reserved now. If your child is 15 or older and costed as an adult, then the savings of the Bayern ticket are more pronounced.

Posted by
20081 posts

You can not use the Bayern Ticket anywhere else in Austria, but because Salzburg Hbf is just over the border, it is good for regional trains going toward Munich and to anywhere else in Bavaria (or in German, Bayern, hence the name). If the child is your son/daughter or grandson/daughter, is under 15 yo, and travels with you at all times, they're free. So then the ticket would be 25 EUR. It is a Sunday, so leave any time.

Again, only Meridian (regional) trains. No RJ or EC trains.

Posted by
2332 posts

I am thinking there should be a Deutsche Bahn ticket machine at Salzburg Hbf where you can buy it. Or the ticket window, but at least in Germany,there is a 2 EUR fee for doing this.

Yes, there is both a DB ticket machine and a DB ticket window in Salzburg Hbf.

Posted by
19092 posts

In 2012 I bought a ticket to Werfen at an ÖBB ticket automat at the Salzburg HB, and I noticed it was selling the German Bayern-Ticket at the normal price.

Posted by
148 posts

Thanks everyone!! I downloaded the DB app and was able to purchase the Bavarian ticket. Now it's on my phone ready to go and it is so much cheaper than purchasing tickets individually. Thanks so much for the great information! 😊

Posted by
631 posts

as already said, from Salzburg main station only valid on Meridian trains.

These depart at 15 minuutes past most hours and are blue and grey with yellow doors. First valid train Mondays-Fridays is 09:15, at weekends you can also use 07:15 and 08:15. They call at two stations in Munich; Ostbahnhof after 1hour 43 minutes and Hauptbahnhof 9 minutes later. The BayernTicket is good for onward connections by all local and regional transport, including buses, trams, U-Bahn and S-Bahn. Check where you are meeting, it is much easier to change to most S-Bahn lines at Ostbahnhof.

Retrun trains leave Hauptbahnhof at 5 minutes before each hour until mid-evening, after 8PM they run at 16 minutes before the hour (and call at a few extra places so are slightly slower)., the last train is slightly different agin and goes at 10 before midnight. They all pick up at Ostbahnhof about 8 minutes later.

Munich Hauptbahnhof is very big with an odd layout for first timers. If your friends are meeting you there or you will be catching the train back you need to understand where to go. The Meridian train use a group of tracks numbered 5 to 10, these are shorter than the main tracks and don't reach all the way to the main concourse. If your friends will be wating it will be easier if they walk out to you, the route is along track 11 for about half it's length. If you are returning from here remember it takes longer to reach the train from the main entrance than you might think. The official map is linked, 5-10 are at the bottom. http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/download/muenchen_hbf.pdf

Posted by
148 posts

Dear Steve, thanks so much for the detailed information! I think I would have never figured this out (especially the shorter tracks). I am copying your response into my phone's notes to make sure we get on the right trains both ways. I assume we do not need seat reservations, right?

Posted by
20081 posts

No seat reservations period. Find a seat and its yours.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

You can use the "Starbucks" as a meeting point.

Posted by
19092 posts

If you are using the Meridian train both ways, there is a potentially less expensive option. Meridian sells the Guten-Tag-Ticket for 31€ first person, +6€ each extra, up to 3 children 14 and under are free. However, unlike the Bayern-Ticket, use of the conveyances of the MVV is not included, so the Guten-Tag-Ticket is only valid for travel to the Hauptbahnhof or Ostbahnhof. If you want to go RT to Marienplatz and don't want to walk, the MVV tickets plus the Guten-Tag-Ticket would cost more than the Bayern-Ticket.