Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest

So it looks like O'fest was cancelled last year because of a lease dispute. And it turned into some kind of carnival?

Anyone know what is up for this year? I guess my other general question is, does O'fest take over Austria and Vienna like it does Munich?

Posted by
5370 posts

In Vienna, it is not called Oktoberfest it is called Wiesnfest - https://www.wienerwiesnfest.at/en/

This is a relatively new thing in Vienna (less than 10 years) as Oktoberfest is really a Bavarian/Tirolian thing (which doesn't include Vienna). That said, the Viennese really love to dress up in their Tracht (traditional costumes), drink beer and dance to really bad Austrian music. I would say that it doesn't even come close to taking over Vienna - normal visitors likely wouldn't even know it was going on.

Posted by
4375 posts

thanks for the info, I am trying to take advantage of the Austrian Air nonstop that only runs until early October and then I realized it was O'fest time. Now I am not so concerned, although obviously flying out of Munich is not realistic.