Please sign in to post.

Music in Vienna

We will be in Vienna for 4 nights in early September. What would be enjoyable music? There seem to be venues where Mozart, Vivaldi & Strauss are played amost nightly. Schonbrunn Palace, Musikverein, Karlskirsche, for example. So, I assume that these nearly nightly offerings are largely oriented for tourists, but nonetheless wonder - how good are the orchestras in this city of music? And, how to select one classical experience over another?

On another night ... Jazz venues of note?

Posted by
4137 posts

Vienna maintains a large contingent of highly qualified free lance musicians . Generally speaking , the issue is really what are your musical tastes and interests , and how sophisticated is your ear ? more information will enable me to tailor a more precise response .

Posted by
257 posts

My wife's ear is far better than mine. While I enjoy both jazz and classical, she is someone who plays, who grew up in a musical household, who knows music quite well and who has a good ear. We hear both jazz and the symphony here at home, so I would say this matters. No point in going to hear music to merely check a box ... we can - and do - hear good music here in our city.

Posted by
4137 posts

Look here for listings of the various venues - https://www.wien.info/en/music-stage-shows/classic . The Musikverein , arguably the world's greatest concert hall is now posting programs for September - https://www.musikverein.at/en/programme#!/%23data_year=2018&data_month=9&data_jwos=&data_ass=true&data_wcay=&data_jcay=&data_jc=false&data_nedcc=0&bbq_ev=&data_year=2018&data_ev=nav36550 The Vienna Mozart Orchestra will play various selections , but unlikely that the programs will be extended works ( for example - Overture to Cosi Fan Tutte ; Piano concerto 21 in C major ; and Symphony # 41 " Jupiter " ) It is early in the season at that point , and my choice would be the tenth - Mahler Third , Boston Symphony . I have been to The Musikverein a number of times , and the acoustics and transparency of the hall are incomparable

Posted by
3809 posts

I think the Musikverein is an excellent choice for a concert and agree with Steven's assessment of the September program. The building is Habsburg wonderful, and the Großer Saal has excellent acoustics. It's a premier place in Europe (as well as the world) to see a classical concert.

Posted by
20 posts

We have been to Vienna a few times and love it for the music. The Wiener Volksoper is wonderful. We saw Mozart’s Magic Flute last September. Also attended Sunday mass at the Augustiner Kirche and the music was simply amazing with choir, soloists and orchestra performing Haydn’s Creation Mass. There are so many choices.

Posted by
25 posts

I just returned from a one-week visit in Vienna, specifically for music performances.
I was able to see La Traviata (with Placido Domingo in the cast) at the Opera House, and caught two concerts of the Tonkuenstler Orchestra with pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii at the Musikverein. The two venues are within walking distance of each other, and can be reached by Tram No. 1, among other means. Tickets (especially for an opera) need to be purchased well in advance. I was able to score a good ticket using the Opera House's very efficient wait list system. But you can get standing-room tickets at both venues at the last minute.

The ongoing nightly performances of Mozart, Vivaldi & Strauss are of quite high standard but, yes, geared towards tourists.

Posted by
8 posts

Is there a place that sells discounted tickets for day of performances, like in NYC? Are there many performances on Sundays? Thanks!!

Posted by
1875 posts

Is there a place that sells discounted tickets for day of performances, like in NYC?

No, not to my knowledge.

Posted by
5508 posts

I was in Vienna January of 2017. We stood in line for an hour or so and got standing room tickets for the opera (Hansel and Gretel) for some insane price. Maybe 3 Euro a piece?? Rick Steves describes procedure in his guide. We loved it if for just seeing the interior of the building.