Please sign in to post.

Munich to Salzburg

We will be in Munich for 4 days and we were wondering if we should use one day for a trip to Salzburg. Could you please share your recommendations? Is it worth using a tour company or is it possible to do on our own? Thank you so much.

Posted by
20087 posts

Since you intend to go on to Vienna, you could just stop there for a day on your way. You can leave at 8:17 and specify a 10 hour stopover, (or however long you want to stop) in Salzburg. Just looking at August 30, you can buy tickets now for a group of 4 (have I got that right?) for 119.60 EUR for the group. Arrive in Salzburg at 9:59 and spend the day, then continue on to Vienna on the 8:08 pm train to Vienna, arriving at 10:30 pm.

Those tickets would be train specific, meaning they are like airline tickets, you are then committed to following that schedule.

Posted by
2487 posts

As a day trip from Munich you could take the hourly Meridian train, which with the Bayern Ticket is only EUR 43 (return trip) for the four of you together. You can buy it at the station on the day itself. Valid on all Meridian trains, making its use flexible. Possible downside is that on weekdays you can't use it before 9 o'clock.

Posted by
5581 posts

Easy to get to and from Salzburg on the Bayern ticket. It is also an easy walk from the train station to city center. The only caveat is that one could spend three days in Salzburg, but my opinion is that one has the days one has, and if you really want to see a city and you only have a limited time for it, go for it, within reason. I would definitely not take a tour from Munich, but might consider a tour once you have arrived Salzburg. An alternative is to use the city walking tour in the Rick Steves guide. We did and found it helpful.

Posted by
2487 posts

If your trip to Salzburg is on a weekday, you can use the attractively priced Bayern Ticket for the 08:56 train if you separately buy a ticket for Munich Central (München Hauptbahnhof) to Munich East (München Ost) for EUR 2,90 per person. The train to Salzburg leaves München Ost at 09.05, when the Bayern Ticket has become valid.

Posted by
61 posts

Thank you so much for sharing the tips. We will plan to take the train on a weekday. Thanks for sharing the link.

Posted by
37 posts

I am also interested with this question. Regarding reply by tonfromleiden......

Posted by tonfromleiden
the Netherlands
08/14/18 04:51 PM

If your trip to Salzburg is on a weekday, you can use the attractively priced Bayern Ticket for the 08:56 train if you separately buy a ticket for Munich Central (München Hauptbahnhof) to Munich East (München Ost) for EUR 2,90 per person. The train to Salzburg leaves München Ost at 09.05, when the Bayern Ticket has become valid.

Do I need to buy two tickets at the Munchen Hauptbahnhof? One for Munchen Ost and also the Bayern ticket to continue to Salzburg? Thank you.