Please sign in to post.

Munich, Salzburg, Murren, Zurich

Hi Everyone,

We will be traveling to Munich in Aug for 18 nights with two children 8 and 11. We planned:
3-4 days in Munich (Dascu, Neuschwanstein Castle, Hofbrau house, English garden and a museum )
3-4 days in Salzburg to include salt mines, ice caves, High Fortress, trick fountains, Mozart dinner and a day to Hallstat or Berchtesgaden or both? Wondering if should stay in city or outside of city to visit these sites.

We would like to spend 3 days in Murren and 2 days in Lucerne and need to fly out of Zurich. Not sure the best route to take from Salzburg. We plan to drive (haven't looked into the cost of rental yet) would mittenwald be a good place to stop between Salzburg and Murren? Would that be similar to the feel we are already going to have in Murren and Hallstat/Berchtesgaden?Are there any place in the middle that would be good for kids. Swimming/activities (ropes course, amusement park?)

We originally had planned to go to Rothenberg and Europa park but it looks like it will be too much driving and we don't know how to work it into the intinerary. Since we are taking it out, I would lessen the days we are traveling but the airline change fee is too high.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Posted by
437 posts

You could probably do this itinerary by train and your kids, if they are like mine, would probably love riding the rails - we don't get much chance of that here.

I took my kids to most of these places when they were 11. Munich was a big hit. If they ride bikes, you might enjoy going to Neuschwanstein on Mike's bike tour. You get to bike around to the lake, you can take a sommerrodelbahn and do some hiking. One of my kids even went tandem paragliding with a guide (crazy, but it was fine and he loved it) They also have a bike ride in central Munich. My kids loved the biking. I did not take my young kids to Dachau, even though I have been. It's a serious, sobering place and especially for an 8 year old, I think it's a bit much.

In Salzburg we did most of what you are mentioning. In or near Bertchesgaden, there is also a sommerrodelbahn. We also went to the puppet theater. We were a bit lost because, of course, it was all in German, but it was a spectacle.

If you have extra days, definitely add more to Muerren. You can find many fun things for kids there - Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Trummelbach falls, sommerrodelbahn near Grindelwald, hiking etc... I would add the Ballenberg open air museum. You can take a boat across the lake to get there. We had a swiss pass with a family card and the kids were free, and we did everything in Switzerland by train, boat, bus and lift - no car needed. You can't even take your car to Muerren.

We didn't stop anywhere between Salzburg and Lauterbrunned, but we did make a trip to Montreux to visit the Chateau de Chillon on our way over from Paris. Lake Geneva is pretty and the Chateau is fun for kids. We stayed in town everywhere, and chose Lauterbrunnen as our base rather than Muerren.

Posted by
1914 posts

We love Mittenwald! Been there a few times as it is a nice one night stop after flying into MUC. Looks like it is about 2:30 hours or so from Salzburg to Mittenwald and then another 4:40 hours to Lauterbrunnen which is in the Valley area before taking transportation up the mountain. Is it similar to the other locations...? Hard to compare. It is a tiny, tiny village cute as a button. There are lifts in the area if you want to go up the mountain, not really sure what else is around there. But, it is such a cute village, we love going there.

I'd use it as a stopover! Sounds like a nice trip you have planned.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you so much for your help, I am so happy your children enjoyed Munich.(Tigerfan) . I will definetely do Mike bike tour and look into them also for the Castle. Thank you!

Susan and Monte, thank you for the info regarding Mittenwald. My husband has his heart set on Mittenwald but doesnt look like we will work it in to stay over night but may have to do a day trip from Munich.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the information!

Posted by
5371 posts

We love Mittenwald, but I would suggest staying in Seefeld. Seefeld is just a short ride away from Mittenwald and has an excellent water park, family-friendly chairlift/hiking options. Definitely visit the child friendly Leutasch Gorge, which is between Seefeld and Mittenwald. I'd even advocate for an extra day in Seefeld, if you can swing it. We spent a week there during the summer with our similarly-aged kids and didn't do everything.