Please sign in to post.

Mauthausen concentration camp

Hi ,I have a question .We're thinking of taking a tour of the Mauthausen Concentration camp .Their website advises it is better that kids below 15 avoid going there.Wanted to know everyone's thoughts around that.We have two kids between 12 and 13 years of age and I would want them to see it .

Posted by
11613 posts

You know your children best. It should be noted that other countries in Europe have varying age recommendations, and in Germany and Poland, school children visit camp memorials as part of the curriculum (not sure of age, though).

I have visited Mauthausen, I think you and your children would benefit from a guided tour. They should have some information beforehand.

Posted by
271 posts

I concur with Zoe, a visit here would be a tremendous catalyst for your family's discussion of fascism, anti-semitism, homophobia, and more. But, IMO, what makes Mauthausen a different experience from Dachau, for example, is the enormous and moving display of artistic remembrances in the statue garden. Afterward, thankfully, Salzburg is nearby (unless you are easterly) where your family can decompress from your holocaust remembrance. It's not an easy visit but so worthwhile.

I think this particular camp was just featured on the television show - Expedition Unknown. You may want to checkout the online site for this show or look for it on tv. This may be a safe way to introduce your children to the horror of WWII.
Travelchannel.com.
Episode: Nazi Secrets Revealed.
Expedition Unknown Show

Posted by
8378 posts

What was striking to me was something you may or may not want to point out, many of the personal memorials on the walls are for what were essentially Polish boy scout leaders, arrested as part of the Nazi round-up of potential para-military leadership. Look for the word "harcerz" or some version of that in the memorials.

Posted by
461 posts

I would bring them. Granted, it was a numbing experience for me, and my kids were 19 and 16 when we visited, but they felt it was similar to a field trip to a historical site. I don't think I have the stomach to visit another concentration camp while travelling in Europe, but I am glad I did at least once in my life. Your children would at least learn first-hand what human beings are capable of inflicting on fellow human beings.

We walked through the camp on our own, not with a guide, so you can skip over certain places if it seems too intense. Best of luck with your decision.

Posted by
4731 posts

Perhaps the approach to take is to discuss the matter with them from a historical point of view -- complete with some photos and history about some of the other camps. That way it will not be thrusting them into a situation without warning. After several discussions, ask how they feel about going and then assess the impact you think the visit may have. You will then be better prepared to make your decision.

Posted by
1200 posts

I went to Mauthausen Concentration Camp with the RS GAS tour. It was the first time I ever went to a concentration camp. It was a sobering experience and very sad. They called it a work camp, not a concentration camp. I could not tell the difference between the two names. It is a work camp, because they work you to death. I saw the graveyard, the ovens, the barricks that the people slept in. They have a wonderful large museum that I was not able to totally view, but that was something to see. Our guide told us, think of this as a memorial to the people who died here. Don't put pressure on yourself to get upset. And he is half German and lives in Berlin. That was excellent advice.

I cannot say don't take your children but I will say, if you do, educate them and tell them what to expect before they go. Are they studing WWII in school. Do they know anything about WWII and what happened to the Jews? Do they understand about death, murder, war? I say this as I think they should be prepared. I know I was but yet.... Not totally prepared for what I saw. Hard to take, what I was upset about were the ovens. That was hard to take. The whole place is well done, very quiet, you walk around on your own and really don't talk and just take it all in. You can stay an hour or you could stay three hours, that is how much there is to see and walk around. The tour gave us plenty of time but still I could have stayed longer.

That said, I hope this helped to explain Mauthausen a little bit.

Posted by
32173 posts

he,

It's difficult to answer the question about taking your kids to Mathausen as none of us here know the maturity level of your kids or how they might handle an experience like that. The subject matter is very intense and in the same situation I'd probably provide some education well in advance of the trip, in order to gauge their reaction.

I haven't been to Mathausen but have been to some of the other camps and other WW-2 sites as I'm an avid history buff. They're all a very sobering and grim experience even for adults. I've known hardened ex-military people who were upset after visiting Auschwitz so these historic sites can affect anyone.

One method you could use is to have a pre-arranged signal with your kids. If they find the experience too upsetting, they can give you the signal and at that point you conclude the visit. Just a thought.....