Please sign in to post.

Lodging in Salzburg

I am planning (hopefully) to take a side trip to Salzburg this June with my 2 daughters & 3 of my grandchildren (ages 10, 11, & 12). I pretty much know our activities while there for our quick 2 day stay - Sound of Music tour & exploring beautiful Salzburg. However, I wanted to ask if anyone has a suggestion as the the best area for our lodging. We would like to be in the "thick of things" so to speak, so that we can easily explore on foot the beauty that will be surrounding us. No hotel, though, because we prefer to stay in an apartment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Wanted to mention, too, that we are on a budget, and not looking for anything high end. Thank you

Posted by
5381 posts

I love the area around Linzer Gasse, just across the Staatsbrücke. Lots of charm and 5 minutes to the center, but away from the fray. I always stay in this area with my kids.

You are also planning to see the trick fountains At Hellbrunn, yes? A highlight always for kids.

Posted by
3044 posts

We stayed in Hostel Yoho. It was nice, it was inexpensive, there were lots of families. The breakfast was good. It's not far from the old Salzburg area.

Posted by
864 posts

I have stayed a couple times at the Botiquehotel am Dom in Salzburg and find it perfect. Excellent location, good food and pastry right there on the block, the main Dom Plaza 100 yards away, excellent views and nice, clean, modern rooms. Fabulous staff too.

Posted by
856 posts

I second Linzer Gasse. Many choices for lodging and dining and is close to the "thick of it" yet far enough away to get away from it. Also, it is on the route for Bus 151, which will take you up to Gaisberg.

Posted by
328 posts

Following this thread as we are also looking into lodging in Salzburg with the same requirements.

Posted by
52 posts

If you're looking for something affordable, new, and clean, I would offer Pension Ballwein as an option. While they are just outside of downtown, but the bus into town stops directly in front of their house, and the ride is a mere 15 mins away.

Pension Ballwein is actually owned by the son and daughter-in-law of the owners of Haus Ballwein (mentioned in the RS Salzburg guide.)

We actually drove through Bavaria during that trip. Having an easy, free, and safe place to park was an added bonus. Simon & Daniela Ballwein were incredibly kind, and went out of their way to ensure that we had a fantastic stay. In fact, the morning we left, Daniela had looked at the traffic back to Munich and printed off a directions to avoid a nasty stau on our way.

Posted by
237 posts

Thank you for taking the trouble to send this information. Unfortunate, we have had to cancel all Europe plans for this coming summer because of Covid restrictions. Hopefully, next summer with be available for us to regroup. Again thank you.