Please sign in to post.

Itinerary suggestion for end Nov/ early Dec 2024

Hi,
I am planning to travel to Austria (first time) with my husband and 3.5 years son. We would like to do couple of family friendly activities, visit Christmas markets, road trip enjoying scenic beauty. We have an experience of driving in Europe during winters so road trip should not be a problem. Below is a rough itinerary prepared. Please feel free to suggest any modification as we have not done any booking.

Nov 29, 2024: Day 1 Arrival in Vienna and Drive to Kitzbühel (Enjoy the scenic drive (approximately 1.5 to 2 hours).

Check-in in Kitzbuhel. Explore Kitzbuhel town.

Day 2. Alpine coaster ride. Day trips to st johann, kirchdorf, Erpfendorf,

Day 3. Day trips to Maurach, Achenkirch, Alpbach and Achensee (Rofan cable car)

Innsbruck, Gnadenwald, Hinterhornalm, Hall in Tirol, Ischgl. (Should I consider this instead of aforesaid towns/ villages on day 3).

Day 4: Drive to Salzburg. Check-in. Explore Salzburg Advent Markets.

For another 2 days: Below Options in which Hallstatt is must. Please suggest best one to chose per weather conditions.

Faistenau and Rossfeldstrasse: Drive the scenic Rossfeldstrasse road for breathtaking mountain views.

Do Wolfgangsee region

Visit Gosau region and Hallstatt.

Also, I read somewhere that around Dec 5 and 6, St. Nicholas Day is celebrated, which is part of the wider Advent and Christmas traditions. Kaprun, like many towns and villages in Austria, often holds special events and festivities during this time to mark St. Nicholas Day. Should I consider this? Would it be exciting for my kid?

Day 7: Drive to Vienna. Check-in. Visit Christmas markets.

Day 8: Schönbrunn Palace (consider only the zoo there), St. Stephen's Cathedral,

Dec 7, 2024 Day 9: Return flight

Thank you. Best.

Posted by
2968 posts

First, Alpine Coasters (Sommerrodelbahn) are not open in winter.

Vienna to Kitzbühel is over 4 hours drive in ideal conditions.

Instead of landing, arriving in Vienna and driving, why not put your Vienna visit first instead of last?

Day 3 is impossible.

The Rossfeld Panorama should be open, but may not be.

You’re trying to cover WAY too much ground. WAY too much. You have 9 or 10 nights.

3 nights Vienna.

5 nights based in Salzburg or Berchtesgaden or Salzkammergut.

You can see… Wolfgangsee lake ship trip to St. Gilgen, Strobl and St. Wolfgang. Hallstatt. Rossfeld Panorama Road. “MAD” King Ludwig’s Herrenchiemsee. Berchtesgaden. Salzburg. Even Kaprun, Zell am See. Salt Mine. Cable car or Cog Train trip. Konigssee.

1 night Vienna.

Posted by
2193 posts

To achieve this itinerary you will have to spend way too much time just driving. Poor toddler!

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks Paul for the ideas. I understand that I am trying to add too much of places which will not be feasible practically. If I do 3 nights in Vienna, 3 nights in Salzburg (1st day for Salzburg, 2nd day for Wolfgangsee region and 3ed for Hallstat) and 3 nights in Kitzbuhel. what all I can do in Kitzbuhel considering that I will get less of day light and I am travelling with small kid. I have read alot about Tyrol being winter wonderland so I would really like to b ether for 2 nights where I can do some scenic drive, christmas markets of small town and tobogganing with my kid. But if you feel that covering zell am see, rossfeld panorma strass and konigsee are better options then I can consider that. Any suggestion will help in further refining my plan. Thanks.

Posted by
5 posts

wmt1: If you can please help with the suggestions to further refine my itinerary, it will be of great help. I would rather like to plan a happy trip for my toddler.

Posted by
1376 posts

Dec 5th will be the day for the annual Krampus runs, especially in the Salzkammergut. The places with those are already selling out.

You need to pick one place at a time. You have 4-5 times more places listed than you have time for. If Kitz has snow you can sled there. If you want a place with a nice market in that corner for Tirol consider Innsbruck. Ischgl is for skiing at that time of year, not much else. If you have to do Hallstatt you may want to look at making that the priority and building around that.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks all. I have revised the itinerary basis your suggestions. Please see below:
Nov 29, 2024: Arrival in Vienna. 3 Nights stay in Vienna exploring advent markets and Vienna zoo. Rent car on 4th day and drive to Tirol region (Almost 5 hours drive).

Dec 2, 2024. Stay and explore Wilder Kaiser region for 3 nights. Do Tobogganing.

I have not yet decided the base village. Please recommend. Also, I am confused whether doing Innsbruck would be better option? Or any other suggestion in Tyrol?

Dec 5, 2024 Drive to Salzburg. Check-in St. Gilgen, or any other place at Wolfgangsee.
Stay 3 nights., Do day trips to Hallstatt and Salzkammergut area.

Please suggest if the aforesaid is feasible. thanks.

Posted by
2968 posts

We have stayed in and love Hall in Tirol by Innsbruck. Beautiful old town pedestrian zone, lower key Advent Market (feels geared for the locals, not tourists) PLUS we love and have stayed at the Gasthof Badl on 5 different trips, including 2 “Advent Market” trips.

www.badl.at

Posted by
2968 posts

Now that I think about it, I’d say I’d go to the Schladming/Ramsau am Dachstein area after your stay in Vienna. We stayed (for the Advent Markets) at the Pension Haus Maria.

www.pensionhausmaria.com

http://www.pensionhausmaria.com/winter.asp

https://www.schladming-dachstein.at/en/winter

The Dachstien cable car trip is the best!!!

https://www.derdachstein.at/en/dachstein-glacier-world/glacier-experience

The owners, hosts, of the Pension Haus Maria, Alastair and Denise, are from England and are a wealth of knowledge of what to do and see in the area. Friendly, warm in visiting people. They even took us to a few Advent Markets and out to dinner!

Posted by
2193 posts

A toddler needs some action going on (having three grandkids myself). So visiting sights or attending Christmas markets will not appeal so much to them. The time of the year you intend to visit Vienna may have cold and bad weather, not to talk about early sunset, so indoor activities might be the better choice.

Here are suggestions for kids, some not really for winter, not necessarily all for toddlers.

https://www.babybreaks.com/indoor/activities-vienna-with-kids/
https://www.visitingvienna.com/entertainment/kids-2/

If you use "toddler in vienna what to do" as search term in Google you will find more suggestions.