Please sign in to post.

itinerary help

Hello! I am looking for some input with my 2 week itinerary. I will be traveling with husband in October. I am unsure if I chose the proper amount of nights for each place and would be willing to switch it up if necessary.
fly into Vienna. - spend 1 night
train to Salzburg - 2 nights
bus to Ljubljana - 3 nights (day trip to Lake Bled)
bus to Graz - 3 nights
bus to Bratislava - 3 nights (day trip to Tvrana or Trencin)
train/bus to Vienna - one night
Do I have correct amount of nights in Salzburg and Graz? Should that be switched? And I know Hallstat would be a nice day trip from Salzburg, but I do not like day trips that take over an hour to get to. To be honest, I dont know day trips at all and almost never follow through with the day trips I have planned. lol They are simply "in case of emergency" (meaning we hate the city and need out). lol. If we love a city, we are happy staying put! love to hear the input!

Posted by
8221 posts

Your itinerary has a bunch of cities for the time allotted. First and last days of any trip are wasted days, as are days traveling from city to city. Unless you've been to Vienna before, you're missing a lot not spending 4 days there as it's a great, large and classy city. Ljubljana will really be pressing your itinerary as it's out of the way. And 3 nights in Graz are taking days that might be better spent elsewhere.

An alternative itinerary we especially like would be Vienna for 4 nights. The train to Salzburg is easy--for 2 nights. Then train to Budapest--another absolutely great city for 3 nights. Bratislava was a good weekend train stop for us on the way back to Vienna. And we took a 38 mile bus ride back to Vienna. All of these cities have good day trips available too--like Hallstadt from Salzburg.

It's been awhile since we've traveled in this area, and about time we returned. If you need a place to stay in Vienna or Budapest, I know some great places at very reasonable rates.

Posted by
897 posts

I agree that this has too many destinations. Vienna requires 3 days, minimum. I'm not certain why you are traveling via bus when train is easier and greater comfort. Vienna can be a gateway to Bratislava and not require moving from one place to another.

Vienna - Ljubljana - Salzburg - Vienna

Posted by
53 posts

Oh wow ok I will have to rethink this itinerary. lol
Yes I've been to Vienna before, so we are just making it an easy stop to and from the airport. And the reason for buses is because when I checked the duration of the bus vs the train, believe it it not the flexibus was quicker. These cities all had direct buses, where as the trains had changes, making the time actually longer. Salzburg to Ljubljana was the longest bus ride of all of them. 4hrs (I think the train was 4 1/2 and more money). But ok, I will definitely rethink going there as stated maybe I can pick another place.

Posted by
2032 posts

You have too much different destinations in all directions away from Vienna. So you will loose a lot of time by travelling. Going by bus is not that comfortable, and I doubt that it is much cheaper.

Going by train, my suggestion would be: Vienna - Graz - Ljubljana - Salzburg - Vienna.

Take an express train from Vienna International Airport to Graz right after your arrival. Skip Bratislava, spend more time in Vienna; there is nothing in Bratislava outperforming Vienna. Hallstatt is an easy day trip from Salzburg, especially if you take the bus to Bad Ischl to visit this town as well.

Posted by
506 posts

Just to speak to the bus vs train. I was also of the opinion that I would always prefer the train. However on our last 2 trips to Italy we have ended up taking intercity buses due to better connections etc. In both cases the bus was exceedingly comfortable, and in some cases superior to the train ( our train in Sicily had graffiti on the windows etc. ) They left right on time, and pulled in to the same station a train would have.

Posted by
294 posts

I'm with the more time in Vienna crowd.

What do you like to do?

Posted by
53 posts

I like to visit old towns. Quaint streets, getting lost, stopping for some food or sitting up in a town square drinking wine, watching the people go by. We could do that for hours. We will check out castles and museums. We wanted a little taste of every place, since we are unsure if we'd be back in that area again. And if there was a place we loved, we'd make it a point to return. Bratislava seems to get so much hate, so that is why we would have a day trip ready if we felt that 2 full days is too much. (also the bus from Graz would get us to Bratislava at noon, giving us a pretty full day day to explore). In the past we've done 3 nights. two fully days and half day of travel and a half day of wandering.
Side note: The only reason we are staying the first night in Vienna and not going straight to another destination is because we we can actually check out the Vienna Octoberfest the day we land. (we land in the morning). I know you must thinking that's crazy we'll have jetlag, but for some reason whenever my husband and I travel, our first day we are so excited with so much energy, that it always winds up being our fun day and we wind up getting back to the hotel super late. I cant explain it. lol We then sleep like babies and are well rested for the rest of the trip! Has anyone been this particular Octoberfest?

Posted by
2032 posts

Has anyone been this particular Octoberfest?

It is a poor copy of the original in Munich. Having been to both, don't like either. Lots of drunk people who think it is required to be donned in Lederhosen and Dirndl.

If I like to drink beer I prefer Schweizerhaus.