We're taking a short 2 week trip next Sept. starting in Budapest and ending up in Munich for Oktoberfest, I would love some input about a possible itinerary. We've been to Germany and Austria before, this time we'd like to spend a few days exploring some of the wine areas in Austria.
1. Depart US
2. Arrive Budapest mid-day night in Budapest
3. Night in Budapest
4. Night in Budapest
5. Am train to Vienna, night in Vienna
6. Night in Vienna
7. Pick up rental car in Vienna, travel to wine area: Burgenland (Melk) 100 miles, 1 hr- 45 min from Vienna then onto Graz, 55 miles from Melk. Night near or in Graz
8. Wine: Graz to Styria, Styrian Wine Road: night in this area?
9. Wine: Styria to Krems take the Styrian Wine road (we'd be missing the Wachau Valley)
10. Krems to Salzburg, drop off car, spend night
11. Day in Salzburg (we've been there before)late afternoon train to Munich, night in Munich, reservations made for 4 nights
15. Fly home from Munich
We could skip Salzburg and return to Vienna dropping the car off there then train Vienna to Munich. If we did that we could do this route:
Vienna to Krems, 122 miles, 2 hr 15 min. Krems to Styria 73 miles, 1 hr, 30 min, to Styria to Graz, 71 miles 1 hr 23 min, Graz to Burgenland (Melk), 55 miles, 1 hr, 12 min, Melk to Vienna, 100 miles, 1 hr 41 min. (420 miles total)
Actual car rental is cheaper picking up the car last day in Budapest dropping in Munich first day we arrive.
Sue from New Mexico