Please sign in to post.

Innsbruck or Salzburg

We will be travelling to Austria and have time for a stopover in either Innsbruck or Salzburg. I'm interested in feedback as to which one would be the better choice. I love the mountains but I also love classical music.

We would also prefer to stay in a local inn or Bed and Breakfast as opposed to a hotel. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Posted by
4699 posts

Salzburg is my vote. You could always go our to Berchtesgaden for beautiful lake and mountain scenery.
Safe travels!

Posted by
1291 posts

What time of year? How long is the stopover? Off the top of my head I would say Innsbruck in winter and Salzburg in summer. B&B/hotel/Pension in the town or outside with public transport? I would think live music options depend on your dates.

Posted by
8443 posts

Salzburg for certain. It has a unique history and is as picturesque a city as I've seen. From there, if the mountains aren''t enough, you can easily visit Berecthesgaden. I wasn't impressed with Innsbruck.

Posted by
7299 posts

Month of year?

Tough decision. Innsbruck has a mountain available in town. Will be less crowded than Salzburg. I'm not sure I see the significance of the housing choice in two big tourism destinations.

Posted by
865 posts

Innsbruck. There are not many B&B's that I know of, but there are a number of quaint local inns just west, across the river Inn. Easy access around the region via great public transport to Hall in Tirol, Igls, and the great ride up to Fulpmes. Plus Nordkette, which is basically the backdrop of Innsbruck. I've visited both several times. My only reason to returning to Salzburg was because I was bringing along a guest who had never been before. Otherwise I would have avoided returning. There are some great spots I enjoy in Salzburg but they do not involve being in the old city or classical music.

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks for the replies. I should have added that we will be there towards the end of September. We will be travelling on to my birthplace in Voitsberg and Graz.

Posted by
6315 posts

Here's another vote for Salzburg. The city is beautiful with so much to see and do. I went there the first time expecting it to be very touristy, but I fell in love with it. It's charming and lovely and well worth a visit. You don't say how long your stopover is, but if you're there for a few days, you can travel to the mountains. They're only about 50 km away.

Posted by
32752 posts

personal preference - Salzburg by a mile. But I love the countryside north of Innsbruck especially Seefeld in Tirol. And then there's the Zillertal.

Posted by
1434 posts

Salzburg is more scenic, but more expensive. Innsbruck has more direct transit links to small mountain towns. If you like music, then Salzburg is better. It will be hard to find a small BnB, however.

Posted by
2908 posts

I have to go with Innsbruck. Been 5 times and never tire of the old town, the amazing alpine scenery and easy day trips.

I have to add I’ve never stayed IN Innsbruck, but nearby Hall in Tirol. Love the old town here also.

Posted by
19 posts

Salzburg has both mountains and classical music. If the weather's nice, you can climb the Untersberg Mountain, which is just south of town.

In terms of a local inn, I wholeheartedly recommend Pension Ballwein on the Moostrasse. It's easily accessible on bus 21, about 12 minutes from downtown. The area has a rustic alpine flavor with glorious views of the mountains. The pension is run by a delightful young couple who speak excellent English. For a nice meal farther down the road, check out the Reiterhof Moos. It can also be reached by bus 21 or via a pleasant walk from the pension. Good food, especially the garlic soup and peppersteak, and a great ambience