Please sign in to post.

Innsbruck 101

Hey all:
We (me, wife, and two young teens) are heading to Innsbruck for a few nights in early August (after what's fast becoming a whirlwind tour through Germany), and I'm looking for some Innsbruck 101 information.
We have a rental home that we're planning to stay in for three nights. But we're not very world-savvy Americans who need to figure out how to get to Innsbruck via train (from Munich), and how to leave Innsbruck via train (to Wengen).
1) Is there a particular site we should be booking those train rides on?
2) how far in advance should we be booking them to get the best possible seats?
3) Anything in particular you'd consider a must-see in Innsbruck (or within day trip distance via public transportation)?

Thanks for any insight you can pass along (as figuring out the German leg of our trip is melting my brain, and I want this stretch to be a bit more relaxed)

Posted by
20100 posts

You can buy tickets to Innsbruck at www.bahn.com/en. Note that there are 2 ways to go. The fast way is vis EC train direct to Innsbruck in 1 3/4 hours. The slower way is with local trains via Garmisch-Partenkirchen gpingg thru the mountains and taking 3 1/3 hours and 2 train changes.

Only the the fast way will you be able to reserve seats, which is an additional 4.50 EUR. If you go 1st class, a seat reservation is included. Sometimes, the cost of tickets which are nonrefundable in 1st class are less than a 2nd class ticket plus the seat reservation.

You can book Innsbruck to Wengen at www.sbb.ch/en, Again, seat reservations are extra.

The earlier you book, the cheaper the tickets when you select nonrefundable tickets. They are kind of like airline tickets these days.

Posted by
2908 posts

In Innsbruck and the area I normally suggest the Nordkettenbahn. Schloss Ambras. Hofkirche. Add an afternoon and or evening in nearby Hall in Tirol’s old town pedestrian zone. Quick and easy by bus.

Wengen and the Berner Oblerland is going to WOW you!

Paul

Posted by
865 posts

For travel to Wengen, book via https://fahrplan.oebb.at/webapp/#!P|TP!histId|0!histKey|H859126
Swiss Rail only books out 60 days in advance, if memory serves.

2 teenagers? Take the tram to Fulmpes, then bus down to Mieders and ride the mountain coasters!
Seefeld is an easy day trip. Nordkette is accessible right in the middle of Innsbruck. Ride to the top, stop in Hungerburg on the way back for lunch and hike the rest of the way down.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks all. those are great suggestions (And the mountain coasters are either going to be the highlight of that stay, or scar my jumpy eldest son for life. possibly both)
The family that convinced us to head to Innsbruck in the first place mentioned the Swarovski museum as some kind of funky place they enjoyed, but a brief googling had me a little confused (at the mention of a jewelry store by that name). But are "the giant and his chamber of wonders" worth a visit?
And/or...any votes for whether to upend our trip to Innsbruck and shift it to Salzburg (assuming I can swing the details). Doesn't look to add too much time from Munich, or too much time getting to Wengen.
Never a dull moment

Posted by
2908 posts

Skip Swarovski World. Just from my experience there. We regretted going as we feel we wasted our precious vacation time for nothing more than a few “exhibits” and a huge store.

Salzburg… interesting. While I love Innsbruck and the area, I’d go with Salzburg if you could make it work.

Paul

Posted by
865 posts

Salzburg has many interesting sites. If you have not visited either city, you won't be disappointed in whatever you choose. Both have their merits.

Posted by
1529 posts

There is the main Swarovsky store in the very center of Innsbruck; you could spend 15 or 30 minutes there and you will have a feeling of what the thing is about; going to Wattens to visit the Swarovsky Kristallwelten takes much time better spent elsewhere.

If you travel by direct train Munich to Innsbruck in August, be sure to reserve places well in time. The trains go south to Italy and this summer they were filled to full capacity; there were days when all the trains were booked, a friend of mine had to cut her holiday two days short because she was not able to find a train back to Italy. Anyway, I guess that at any time you could easily travel with alternative trains with change in Kufstein. About the alternative itinerary via Garmisch/Mittenwald, be sure the railway is actually running, as in August often shuts up for maintenance.

Both Innsbruck and Salzburg are worthwhile; for many years I had for my holidays a week in Innsbruck and a week in Salzburg. Salzburg is more expensive and classier, it is somewhat crowded in August due to the music festival. In the last years I prefer Innsbruck as climate is getting hot and Salzburg, once known for relentless rain, is getting too hot for me. - Mind you, also Innsbruck can get hot, but nearby villages (not Hall) are higher in elevation and so seem to have a sort of natural high conditioning.

Things to see in Innsbruck: many skip the Hofburg, and it is a pity as it has been just restored and it is a sort of pocket version of the royal palaces in Vienna. Hofkirche (entrance by the folklore museum) and Ambras castle are worth your time, the main museum is not very interesting. Cable car to Nordkette if weather is good, leaves from the very center. Hungerburg is a sort of natural balcony over the city, can be reached with the first section of the cable car (actually a funicular railway) or, cheaper, with bus J. In the past I have adviced to go to Igls, a quaint village, going up with tram 6 (service every our) and going down with bus J; the village does not deserve much time but the tram running in the woods is singular. Good shopping in the city center. Ladies go wild for the Müller perfumery and general shop within the Rathaus mall.