Please sign in to post.

Initial itinerary help

Hello all,

I'm traveling with a group of 10 this summer: two families including teenagers, + grandmother. The start of our trip will be to fly in to Vienna at the end of June 2024, spend a couple of days there, and go the F1 race in Spielberg, Austria (yes, teenagers suggested this). We will likely be staying in Graz. Then we'll have about 8-10 more days to travel. We are debating the itinerary and would love your feedback.

Option 1 is to do more of Central Europe: for instance, Budapest, Plitvice Lakes National Park, Rovinj, Lake Bled, Ljubljana (maybe not all of those).
Option 2 is to head deeper into the Austrian and Swiss alps.
Option 3 is to go South into Croatia, perhaps all the way to Split and Dubrovnik. (I'm worried this will be too far and too touristy)

We don't want to do Munich and Salzburg as we've been there already. We are seasoned travelers, but prefer not to have too many different home bases--maybe two stops.

Any thoughts? Ideas we haven't thought of? Impracticalities to these plans? Thank you!!

Posted by
27120 posts

Have you bought your airline tickets? What's your departure point from Europe?

Do you plan to make this trip without rental vehicles? You shouldn't plan to pick vehicles up in one country and drop them in another; the international drop charges would probably be exorbitant.

Go to the Deutsche Bahn website for rail travel times from Graz (nice city, quite non-touristy) to the other places you've mentioned. In some cases there are no trains, so you can Google "bus Ljubljana to Rovinj", etc.

I've been to all your potential destinations except the Alps, and they're all great. The Option 1 list may be too long for the time available. Check the travel times from point to point (Deutsche Bahn for trains, ViaMichelin.com for driving).

Budapest is, for me, a 5-night kind of place. I wouldn't go lower than 4 nights. It has a lot of varied attractions that are scattered, and it's a very pretty city for simply walking around.

I'd want 3 nights in very appealing Ljubljana; add a night if you prefer to day trip to Bled rather than relocating there for a night or two. You can stroll all the way around Lake Bled in 2 hours or so, so if you don't plan to go farther (such as to Lake Bohinj), Bled is an easy day trip from Ljubljana. Bled the town is really not all that special.

You really must have 1 night at Plitvice because the park is absolutely, mind-blowingly swamped during day-tripping hours. Not spending the night guarantees a severely degraded experience. You should try to get there by mid-afternoon so you can begin exploring the park as others are leaving and finish up early the next morning. There are public buses from Zagreb and Split. They have worked for me, but I wouldn't take the published schedules as gospel. I believe there are multiple bus companies operating (at least from Zagreb), which doesn't make things easier to pin down. Getting to Plitvice would be simpler with cars of your own and would allow you the freedom to book lodgings outside the park. Word is that the park hotels are rather mediocre and somewhat overpriced. However, it is also reported that, if you stay at one of those hotels, your one-day park ticket will be endorsed for free entry the next morning. (I haven't seen that documented on an official website, however.)

Istria is very attractive, and Rovinj would be my choice of base there. There are no trains in Istria, and bus service is rather infrequent, so it can be a challenge to fit Istria into a car-less itinerary. Once there, you can take buses (I think not terribly frequent) to colorful Porec, Pula (Roman ruins that seem not to be outstanding) and Vrsar (a cute hilltop town on the coast). I enjoyed the inland medieval villages of Motovun and Groznjan, which I saw on a once-a-week bus tour. With the transportation challenges in this area, it would be a good place to consider arranging a private van tour to places you would like to see.

Your group would probably enjoy seeing one of the cave systems in Slovenia. The Skocjan Caves are a bit more natural than the very-developed-for-tourism Postojna Caves, but either would work. There is some walking involved for both. Both have public transportation (or did, at the times of my visits), but for Skocjan you might have something of a walk from the place the bus drops you off. There are, of course, tours from Ljubljana, but your group is so large that I would explore private transportation. When I visited Slovenia in 2015, I found it not rock-bottom cheap, but I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of a taxi from Bled to Ljubljana, Lake Bohinj and Vintgar Gorge.

Vintgar Gorge would be another good side trip from Ljubljana; I think you can get there by bus after connecting in Bled, but I'm not sure.

Zagreb is a very handsome city that I like a lot. I was able to fly from there to Washington-Dulles with just one transfer.

Posted by
53 posts

Thank you so much for all of this information! To answer your questions: we will definitely have cars as an option. We could ditch the cars for parts of the trip if trains between locations makes more sense. We have not booked flight yet and are open to an open-jaw itinerary.

Posted by
187 posts

Why wander far away, because many nice things are so close?
About 45 minutes (by car) away from Spielfeld you could visit the Erzberg, the largest open-pit mine in Central Europe.
https://www.abenteuer-erzberg.at/en

Graz is a lovely town where you could easily spend 1 or 2 days.
https://www.graztourismus.at/en/sightseeing-culture/sights

West of Graz you find the Zotter Chocolate experience https://www.zotter.at/en/zotter-experience-world and Riegersburg https://www.dieriegersburg.at/en/

There are several thermal spas around Graz like Bad Gleichenberg, Bad Loipersdorf, Bad Blumau, Bad Waltersdorf. Bad Blumau stands out by its architecture (by Friedensreich Hundertwasser)
https://www.steiermark.com/en/Styria/Wellness-health/Thermal-spas-wellness-resorts

How about to experience the Southern Stryrian wine road by car or by bicycle.
https://www.steiermark.com/en/Suedsteiermark/Region/wine-theme-trails/southern-styrian-wine-trail

Posted by
53 posts

Thank you! We will be staying in Graz for at least 3-4 days during the race, perhaps longer, so I appreciate these suggestions for the region! We would just like to explore some other regions for the second week of our trip.

Posted by
413 posts

I love your thought processes and your choices. You've upped the degree of difficulty a bit with the larger group as I'm assuming you're doing transit and not 2 cars. For me, that's a large part of your consideration.

Plitvice is doable with transit but it's more difficult. Lake Bled has good transit connections but you're gonna burn some time. Ljubljana is a really neat overnight+ but doesn't make sense as either a base or a longer stop. The southern part of the Julian Alps are really awesome, rugged and beautiful and have a ton of very interesting history; particularly WW1, but either a car our a tour guide w a minibus are needed to really experience it. As mentioned above, the Postojna Caves are spectacular and would make a great stop. Don't know about transit connections but it's a pretty popular destination. There are other cave complexes in Slovenia as well. You could open jaws all the way from Austria to Dubrovnik and then take a cheap connecting flight to Rome for your return. So with 10 days, maybe 3 in Bled/Triglav, 2 in Dubrovnik, and the rest of the days hop-scotching southward. But as you say, that's a lot of packing and unpacking, as well as cat-herding 10 people. It's a beautiful, interesting itinerary, but it's more work.

I guess I lean toward the Austrian/Swiss Alps option. June is gonna be beautiful in Berchtesgadenerland. in 2021, We stayed in a Hotel in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden and did day trips all over that area. You're a half hour from Salzburg, 15 from Konigsee, 10 from Berchtesgaden. The views were insane, there was a lot of do; especially active stuff but there was sedentary as well. There was a bus stop a stone's throw away, but we had a car.

Posted by
53 posts

Thank you all. This is so helpful already! We had a family meeting last night and decided on option 1, focusing on Slovenia and northern Croatia! (I love the Berchtesgaden and Königsee suggestion as well, but some of us were there just a few years ago--it was breathtaking.) I will make a new post soon with more detail and further questions!