Please sign in to post.

Hotel reservations

Plan to tour the Alps in Austria with side trips to the Dolimites and to Fussen in early June of this year.
Do you think it’s necessary to have hotel rooms booked. I’d prefer not to allow schedule changes at the last minute due to weather etc.
Plan to start in Breganz and head to Innsbruck with side trips mentioned then Zell am See and over to Hallstadt area before winding up in Salzburg.
Any thoughts?

Posted by
865 posts

To answer the specific question - No, it is not usually necessary to have hotels booked far ahead. The Oberammergau Passion Play, or one of the RS choice hotels, may be significant exceptions. I usually book about three months out, with free cancellation in case schedules change a lot. But I also prefer good hotel deals and travel arrangements that are cheapest when planned ahead. If you want flexibility you can always find a nice place at a higher price. It is entirely a matter of your "travel style."

Posted by
865 posts

It depends, I think. Several years ago I did an impromptu tour of the same region and was able to find pensions along the way that had availability. If you are OK with going the small pension route then you should be fine. Hallstadt could be a problem as there are a fairly finite amount of rooms in a remote geographic location.