Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Vienna

Staying in Vienna next May for a few days.......my husband and I love to walk a city but also like a good central location......about $150 a night.....any suggestions? First timers to Vienna......thanks so much!

Posted by
850 posts

It's been a couple years, but I've stayed at the Hotel Altstadt Vienna and found it ideally located to the old part of town.

Posted by
5503 posts

Love Hotel Austria. Have stayed their twice and have recommended to others who have reported back that they were quite pleased. The best included breakfast I have ever had, ANYWHERE! About 5 minute walk to St Stephens. http://www.hotelaustria-wien.at/

Posted by
1875 posts

Relations of my wife stayed at this place already twice:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1027443

They liked it very much. It turned out to be quiet, spacious and fully equipped. The hosts were very considerate and helpful. Read the reviews of other guests.

What they learned in Vienna quickly is to move around efficently using public transport. Being used to US habits they thought that they must walk everything without having a car. But in Vienna it is very easy and safe to use tram, bus, subway, etc. at any time. And the apartment mentioned has excellent connection to public transport, e.g. less than 10 minutes to the opera.

Posted by
2596 posts

I stayed at Hotel am Stephansplatz last year and it was just lovely--well-appointed, quiet and big room and excellent breakfast included. Cost was about $120. Breakfast room looked right on the church, and just a 3 minute walk to the U.

Posted by
32171 posts

Jane,

You might have a look at Hotel Pension Suzanne, which is in a very central location right across from the Opera House. My room was modern, clean and comfortable, they served a nice breakfast and the staff was great. It has easy access to the pedestrian area (Stephansplatz?), there are lots of restaurants in the vicinty and a Starbucks right on the corner (if that's important). One restaurant that I really enjoyed (right across the street from the hotel) is Vapiano, which serves made-to-order Italian foods. If you're in the mood for a decadent treat, Hotel Sacher is also right across the street, where you can enjoy the famous Sacher Torte.

Posted by
5362 posts

If you can provide your exact dates, I’d be happy to plug them into Booking.com and make some recommendations.

Ken - that Starbucks is gone and Vapiano’s are also in the US now. Thought you might appreciate these updates.

Posted by
9098 posts

There are no Vapianos in Canada or Tennessee.

My favorite hotel in Vienna is the 25hours Hotel. Easy walking distance to the museum quarter, a Hofer (Aldis) grocery stores a few doors down and the Volkstheater subway station is right around the corner.

Posted by
32171 posts

Emily,

Thanks for the update. I'm surprised that the Starbucks is gone as it was always busy. The only Vapiano's in North America appear to be in the eastern U.S. and Mexico, so very difficult for me to get to those.

Michael,

It's unfortunate that we don't have any Vapiano restaurants here as I sure like them. We also don't have any Panera Bread outlets in B.C. The only Canadian outlets are in Ontario (so far). Timmy's is the best we an do, although it's nowhere near as good as Panera. However we do have a small independent cafe here that would give Panera a run for their money, in terms of "healthy food" - https://www.thefigbistro.ca/ .

Posted by
1875 posts

I'm surprised that the Starbucks is gone as it was always busy.

Vienna is the cradle of coffeshops. No real Viennese would ever go to Starbucks. Not only the coffee is not good but expensive, it conveys American style (e.g. take-away, rush and go) which is polar to the Viennese mentality, notably relaxing in a coffeeshop. You can order one coffee and sit there for hours reading several newspapers.

Posted by
46 posts

Wife & I stayed at Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien last September.
Beautiful hotel situation a 1/2 block from Café Central & Herrengasse underground station.

Posted by
3809 posts

that Starbucks is gone

That makes me feel warm all over. I was kind of shocked to see it there.

Posted by
398 posts

We stayed at the Erzherzog Rainer in Vienna and really loved it. It is about a half mile walk to the Opera, which from that direction is about the beginning of the Innere Stadt. It is convenient to both the Taubstummengasse (smaller) and Karlsplatz (larger) U-Bahn stops. The included breakfast was one of the two best I have ever had at any hotel in my travels (free champagne!). We found it to be far enough away from the main sights that it was very quiet at night, but close enough to everything we wanted. I booked using credit card points, but a quick look shows that it should be right around or even under $150/night next May.

I would just point out that, at least as of four years ago when we stayed, they did not have air conditioning. We were also there in May and the weather was very pleasant, roughly 80 during the day and down into the high 60s at night. They put fans in the room and we were very comfortable, but I know some folks must have AC.

Posted by
4613 posts

I'm seconding the Hotel am Stephansplatz . We were there this past April. Service was wonderful, location excellent, and the breakfast was very good. In the evenings, the breakfast room becomes the bar, and you can sit at the windows, relaxing and people-watching all the folks in the St. Stephans square.

Posted by
7123 posts

Another two thumbs up recommendation for the Hotel am Stephensplatz. I reserved the room for 5 days almost a year ahead on their website. When we arrived, they up-upgraded us to the best room we’ve ever had - top floor looking out at St. Stephen’s beautifully tiled roof. Our bathroom was larger than most of our hotel rooms!

Their breakfast was one of the best with excellent service. The location was perfect; come up the escalator from the subway, and the hotel is right there.

Posted by
870 posts

Was very disappointed to see that Hotel Stephensplatz is under renovation and will not be open when we need to stay there next May......we will be staying in Hotel Austria. Thanks so much for your help!

Posted by
850 posts

If it's your first time to Vienna, and you can find the time, I highly recommend taking the time to visit the Dorotheum, which is the worlds oldest pawn shop. It was started by the Holy Roman Emperor as a place to have the nobles exchange their treasures for cash and still has the best stuff. Museums shop there...

Posted by
77 posts

Hi Jane, I’ll be in Vienna for 4 days in early September, I spent almost a year planning my solo 18 day trip, and looked at a LOT of hotels in Vienna. I did consider the Hotel Austria and some of the others mentioned, but kept going back to The Hotel Beethoven, it’s just outside the ring, near the Naschmarkt, and close to the larger museums. I chose it because it’s small, privately owned, very recently renovated, and very highly recommended, and my instinct....It’s also adorable.... each of the 6 floors is themed: Viennese writers and philosophers, musicians, etc, my floor is “Strong Women of the 20th Century”- every room is different, and they have an amazing breakfast spread. On Sunday evenings, they host a quality chamber music concert for their guests, free. Check out their website, also TripAdvisor, I’ll write a trip report after my vacation, we’ll see what happens!!

Posted by
672 posts

A few years ago, we stayed at Spiess and Speiss, which was very highly rated on booking.com. The boutique hotel is located in the 3rd District with great transportation connections (see below). Our room was spacious, spotless, quiet, and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent, including Herr Spiess's fantastic scrambled eggs (really; many guests comment in reviews as to how good they taste). I highly recommend S and S. A quick check of their website lists rooms starting at 125 Euros/night, but they have many kinds of rooms and suites available. As an aside, there was a great Greek Restaurant located across the street.

This is from the S and S website:

"Very close to the city center, yet in a quiet back street in one of the best residential areas in Vienna. The Shopping Boulevard “Landstraßer Hauptstraße” (many shops and restaurants) just around the corner. Directly located at a U3 underground stop (Station Rochusgasse 100 m / 300 ft away) makes reaching most major points of interest in Vienna a matter of minutes. 5 Minutes to CityCenter – just 1 stop to the CAT – direct connection to Railway Station “Westbahnhof”.

Posted by
484 posts

We all have different tastes and expectations....I normally rent an apartment when I stay in Vienna..
But, for a central location the Intercontinental is one to consider. Their standard rooms are in your price range.

Posted by
5362 posts

The Intercon is about to be swept up in a huge construction project. It is also pretty darn ugly. I wouldn’t stay there.

Posted by
1 posts

I've stayed several times at Hotel Austria on Fleischmarkt. It's close to the u-bahn which is so easy to travel and the breakfast is outstanding.

Posted by
5503 posts

At that price point, Hotel Austria is the best hotel I have ever stayed at.

Posted by
1875 posts

Should you want to stay in an apartment on your own, then I can recommend this:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1027443
Relations of us stayed there already twice, and friends from New England just last week.
It is hard to get anything better for that price. The apartment is ideally situated not only for sightseeing, but also regarding connections to the airport and main train station.

Posted by
1576 posts

Hi Jane,

The AirBnb listed from the previous poster >>>>> https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1027443 looks ok but the price range is only 7 Euros difference for a 1 Bedroom then >>>> http://www.ktboardinghouse.at/index.php/de/ which looks more modern and more chic comparing the rooms in both facilities. I stayed there while I was in Vienna and the location is excellent and the rooms are very nice. Even Rick Steves stayed there as well so that in itself tells you it is well worth it.

Take care

Posted by
5362 posts

RJean - Jane has already noted that she’s booked a hotel in the first district, a far superior location to your recommendation. Her choice also has 1,550 reviews as opposed to your 271.

Posted by
1875 posts

@RJean - Not the number of reviews is important, but their quality. It is obvious that hotel with a lot of rooms can accumulate more reviews as there are several guests simultaneously, as opposed to a single apartment with one guest at a time.

Posted by
34 posts

We stayed at BENEDIKTUSHAUS IM SCHOTTENSTIFT, it was a unique place to stay and very central.

Posted by
1875 posts

BENEDIKTUSHAUS IM SCHOTTENSTIFT

That is for people who want the quietness of a monastery (no TV, no radio, somewhat weak WiFi), but a special place to stay.