Please sign in to post.

Hohen Tauren questions for late June 2019

I recently started learning about the Hohen Tauren area and am reading the Lonely Planet book for Austria. I would welcome some itinerary advice for this summer. Our family with teens is starting in Berlin, going through Nuremburg/Munich, then have some choices. I am thinking of 2 nights in Zell Am See or Krimml, with a drive on the Glossglockner, some day hikes, we would then drive up back to Germany. We don't have time to go south to Italy.

Any advice on best routes from Munich?
How would you spend two full days? Is that even feasible or should we just stick to the Berchtesgarden area instead? The glaciers and drive on Glossgockner sound amazing and we'd really like to do that on this trip.

Does location matter, for example Krimml vs Zell Am See vs Bruch?

Any other advice? Any favorite hikes of 2 to 3 hours?

Posted by
11 posts

Well, I went and it was an amazing place to visit. Highly recommend. Check out the various discount cards, for example Sommercard from the Zell Am See area. There is so much to do, this glacier, https://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en , Grossglockner High Alpine Road, the visitor center in Mittersill, light show on that lake at Zell Am See, i could go on and on.

We did drive through the Berchtesgarden area too. It is hard to compare, we were there a much shorter amount of time. But there definitely seemed to be a lot more people in development in that area. Hohen Tauren National Park is huge.

Posted by
32746 posts

I'm sorry nobody with answers saw your question back in March ..

It sounds like you did just fine anyway... yay!