Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary

After a few days in Switzerland we ( family and I) take the flight or train(need to check which is cheaper) from Zurich to salzburg.spend the night in salzburg.
Day 2. Take morning bus to hallstatt night in hallstatt
day 3. spend morning in hallstatt. Early evening drive (?) to vienna
day 4 vienna
day 5 vienna and return flight.
How does this sound?

Is it possible to get to hallstatt from zurich direct? would you recommend it.
Thank you for your help

Posted by
1906 posts

There are no direct flights from Zurich to Salzburg.

You can travel from Zurich to Hallstatt with only one train change:
Zurich 6:40am - Linz 1:21pm - Hallstatt 3:24pm

Trains from Hallstatt to Vienna: 12:32pm, 2:32pm, 4:32pm
One train change in Attnang-Puchheim. Arrival times in Vienna: 4:05pm, 6:05pm, 8:05pm

Beware that the train station of Hallstatt is on the opposite side of the lake, i.e. you must use the ferry to and from the town (10 minutes boat ride).

Posted by
14 posts

So this is my final itinerary

day 1. Leave from Zurich early morning and by train get to hallstatt by 4. Spend night at hallstatt
Day 2. walk around hallstatt. at around 4 pm take train or bus( whichever is cleaper) to salzburg. Night at salzburg
Day 3. At noon leave salzburg to vienna . Night vienna
Day 4 vienna
day 5 vienna back to abu dhabi

I only included salzburg in here as many comments said I dont really need to spend too much time in hallstatt. Is this itinerary doable? can I make this final and start looking for accommodation.

Posted by
1906 posts

Trains from Hallstatt to Salzburg (one train change):
Hallstatt 4:32pm - Attnang-Puchheim 5:50pm - Salzburg 6:48pm
(alternatively exactly 2 hours later: 6:32pm / 7:50pm / 8:48pm)

Going by train and bus:
Train from Hallstatt to Bad Ischl, 30 minutes layover, bus #150 (#3150) from Bad Ischl to Salzburg
Hallstatt 4:32pm - Bad Ischl 4:52pm/5:24pm - Salzburg 6:53pm
(alternatively exactly 2 hours later: 6:32pm / 6:52pm/7:24pm / 8:53pm)

I would leave Salzburg as late as possible; there is a lot to see, and with the rest of the afternoon you cannot do much in Vienna anyway.
Trains from Salzburg to Vienna Main (OeBB RailJet): 2:08pm, 3:08pm, 4:08pm , ... (2:22 hours travel time)
Trains from Salzburg to Vienna West (Westbahn): 1:52pm, 2:52pm, 3:52pm, ... (2:28 hours travel time)

Posted by
1906 posts

Should you choose to go by train and bus, you could use the layover in Bad Ischl to hurry to the famous pastry shop "Zauner" at Pfarrgasse (6 minutes walk from the bus terminal, 500 yards) and buy one of the unique "Zauner-Stollen", a special cake only available at this place. It comes in a thoroughly closed box, so you can even bring it to the US as a gift.
http://www.zauner.at/english

Posted by
3851 posts

I tend to like a Zurich - Salzburg - Hallstatt - Vienna order better because it replaces a nearly 9-hour train trip with a 6.5-hour trip, avoids doing the Salzburg/Attnang-Puchheim stretch of track twice, and saves about an hour train time overall.

Zurich (7:09) to Salzburg (13:41) with single transfer at München Hbf. Travel time 6:32
Salzburg (13:12) to Hallstatt (15:24) with single transfer at Attnang-Puchheim. Travel time 2:12
Hallstatt (16:32) to Wien Hbf (20:05) with single transfer at Attnang-Puchheim. Travel time 3:33
[There is a 14:32/18:05 option for Hallstat to Wien, too]

VS

Zurich (6:40) to Hallstatt (15:24) with single transfer at Linz. Travel time 8:44
Hallstatt (16:32) to Salzburg (18:48) with single transfer at Attnang-Puchheim. Travel time 2:16
Salzburg (16:08) to Wien Hbf (18:30) without transfer (passing through Attnang-Puchheim). Travel time 2:22.

Posted by
1906 posts

Zurich (7:09) to Salzburg (13:41) with single transfer at München Hbf. Travel time 6:32

There is no need to go via Munich and to change trains.
The direct RailJets from Zurich to Salzburg have a travel time of 5:32 hours.