Please sign in to post.

Help me choose....travel between Germany and Austria June 2017

Hello everyone...

We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Germany and Austria. Quick trip details, three people! Dad (80) Brother and myself. Fly out on a Saturday, stay 10 hotel nights or apartments, in the end of June.

We wish to see a little of each country so I am thinking somewhere between Munich and Salzburg, changing hotels once or not at all if that is doable.

I need ideas? Things to see, best place to stay, rent a car, travel by train, we love mountains and scenery, as well as small towns.

Is there a better location/city to travel between the countries? I have only been to Germany once for two days and both days were day trips from Switzerland. I love the food, the small towns and the mountains.

Can't wait for all your ideas. If you need more info let me know.

Thanks

Posted by
20103 posts

This is a duplicate of post on the Germany forum and there are already good answers there.

Posted by
381 posts

Several years ago we spent one week each in Austria and Germany staying in small towns in apartments using a company called Untours. The week in Germany was spent in a castle outside of Ansbach and the week in Austria was spent in a small town outside of Salzburg called Kuckol (SP?). Included was the weeks accommodation plus rental car for the two weeks. We flew in and out of Munich and also used the trains depending on the day trip. I am sure we could have planned the same type of trip on our own for less money but I was not sure where to start. We added a couple of extra days on at the end in Munich before flying home. We did a minimal amount of driving and even the day we changed locations so did not spend an excessive amount of time getting from point A to point B. It was a nice mix of city and small country with a lot of countryside mixed in.

Posted by
1908 posts

a small town outside of Salzburg called Kuckol (SP?)

The name of the town is KUCHL.

Posted by
671 posts

Stay in both Munich and Salzburg taking the train between them. The train took us about 2 hours. There is so much to see in and near each city that it might be more restful than staying in between and taking day trips each day.

Posted by
73 posts

Thanks, I am looking into both options, in town or in between. I want to see as much as I can but have no must do items at this time.