Please sign in to post.

Hallstatt to Vienna

I will be traveling from Hallstatt to Vienna on a Thursday in late July. I am curious about the best route and if I need to book the train reservations in advance or is it not a busy route? Thanks.

Posted by
262 posts

I have not been to that area yet but I can recommend using the app Rome2Rio, I pretty much use it for all of my routes throughout Europe

Posted by
16893 posts

For actual train schedules, follow the German/Deutsche Bahn at Looking Up Train Schedules and Routes Online. Austrian trains don't require reservations, including for the RailJet, and that will be confirmed in the schedule results. Remember that you'll start with a boat from the other side of the lake to reach Halstatt's train station (timed to work together). To avoid buying tickets in that station with a quick connection, buy them at an earlier train station, like Munich or Salzburg. Or rail pass users also can just jump on the train.

You can also try the Austrian site, www.oebb.at, which sells tickets but is less user-friendly, and has lately required the Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode security systems, if you don't have a chip-and-PIN card.

Posted by
1906 posts

,,, has lately required the Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode security systems, if you don't have a chip-and-PIN card.

Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode and chip-and-PIN are completely independent features of credit cards.

Chip-and-PIN are required for ticket purchases at vending machines, Visa or MasterCard SecureCode is required for online purchases via the Internet.

Security measures are much higher in Europe to fight credit card fraud.

Posted by
5384 posts

Please use Oebb.at for schedule information as this is the official website of the Austrian Rail Service.

The only reason to book in advance is if you want to save money. Booking in advance online for a specific train using the website above will get you the best fares. When you book in advance you can also reserve seats on the longer distance trains just to make sure you have a place to sit. Reserving a seat, however, is not required on Austrian trains - you just find an available seat or stand. You could definitely buy your tickets to Vienna on the day of travel, it will just cost you more.

Posted by
4637 posts

You will have at least one change of trains. Most of the ride is scenic.

Posted by
19092 posts

The train through Hallstatt Bhf goes via Bad Ischl to Attnang-Puchheim, which is on the main line from Salzburg to Vienna. Change in Attnang-Puchheim and take any train to Vienna.