Please sign in to post.

Hallstatt or no..

I was there 20+ years ago and it was magical….and empty. I have heard it’s rather a tourist trap. We are o my in Salzburg for two full days. Is it worth spending one in halstatt? I told my clients I am travelling with yes but I don’t want to spend all day traveling there if it’s just too crowded now. Opinions? We go tomorrow.

Posted by
223 posts

We were there in May 2019. There were a lot of Chinese tourists. For some reason, they really love the place. I understand they have built a replica of Hallstatt in China.

The town itself is worth seeing. Also, its worth visiting the salt mine. But I am not sure the half day it sounds you will have after travel will give you more than a brief glimpse.

We did happen to run into the skull of one of my kid's ancestors in the ossuary.

Posted by
4719 posts

It's now considered to be one of the overloved tourist attractions in Europe. Use Rick's guide for other suggested daytrips, such as the Wolfgangsee.

Posted by
1601 posts

I was there during Covid, in Sept 2021. It was already very crowded.

Posted by
890 posts

Just finished a day trip to Hallstatt. It's a pretty Austrian Alpine village on a pretty Alpine lake. Nothing more than that. Underwhelming, especially as I'd taken a day trip earlier in the week to Český Krumlov from Prague. Wow, is Český Krumlov gorgeous! Hallstatt not worth the effort IMO, but then I've been excoriated here for choosing not to see the Mystic Lamb Behind the Bulletproof Glass from a Distance when I was in Ghent. So don't listen to me.

If you go, take cash. You can't even take the ferry from the train station to the village without 7 euros apiece to pay the boatman. And everything in the village is cash only. It's not as expensive as many heavily touristed, remote places, though. Lunch with a small beer can be had for less than 25 euros.