Please sign in to post.
Posted by
51 posts

Yes, a thousand times yes!!! I was there on an overnight during the Best of Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna tour, and I wish we'd had another day in Hallstatt. Read the reviews of this trip for all of the Wow! Moments. It's a beautiful place to visit.

Posted by
1078 posts

Yes!, we were there during December and the town has a wonderful Christmas vibe, be sure to take the Salt Mine tour it's well worth it. There's something about that lake that just seems so serene and magical.

Posted by
873 posts

Absolutely…..love the vibe you get walking down the streets and visiting the shops….we rode the funicular up to the platform that is out over the hill and lake……GORGEOUS…..we drove from Salzburg and it was easy………….

Posted by
4843 posts

It's worth a day trip, but staying at least one night will be much better. And a tour of the salt mine is highly suggested.

Posted by
32212 posts

It's a bit of trip to do as a day trip, especially in winter when trains may not be running as frequently, so you wouldn't really have a lot of time to see the sights. It would be better if you could stay at least one night there.

If travelling by train, you'll have to make one change in Attnang-Pucheim. When you arrive at the Halstatt rail station, you'll have to take a trip on Stefanie across the lake. I don't know if this schedule changes in winter - https://www.im-salzkammergut.at/veranstaltungshighlights-en-US/summer/daily-cruises-on-lake-hallstatt/ferry-hallstatt-timetable/ .

You may enjoy having a look at this - https://www.paulapinstheplanet.com/hallstatt-in-winter/ .

Posted by
4412 posts

You can find videos of folks doing this trip on Youtube, so you'll know what you are getting into. Apparently it's recommended to take the bus and return by ferry.

Posted by
1228 posts

Check dates in case you overlap with the Christmas market or the Krampuslauf - Krampuslauf not to be missed, but yes, it is in the evening so staying over is probably necessary. I was there in 2019 - if I go again, I will aim for Dec 5.