Please sign in to post.

Hallstatt

Will be in Vienna and Salzburg in early March. Just wondering if one night in Hallstatt is worth it at that time of year? Will I be disappointed that it’s not green and lush like all the photos I’ve seen? I know a lot of things are closed but we just like walking the villages and getting photos in the best spots and such.

Posted by
4853 posts

Depending on your arrival and departure times, you will not have even a full day on location. I'd plan on two nights in order to have one full day plus. Even at that time of the year, it's a wonderful place and deserves more than just one night.

Posted by
8150 posts

Early March? I would prefer to go somewhere else--not on the water. If it was the end of March, weather . The weather makes a big change in Austria mid March--from winter to spring.

I would prefer taking a train down to Innsbruck and see the Alps. Since it's a winter sports center, they handle any season well.

Posted by
4746 posts

If you're in Salzburg, you are so close to Bertchesgaden, which has equally beautiful lake and Alps scenery. I'm not sure what is open at that time of year, but on a clear day, with the sky reflecting in the lake, it's magnificent. The boat ride is serene.
I've been to Hallstatt in late March, and many places are closed, but on a clear day, the scenery is beautiful, especially from the salt mine area on top of the mountain. The salt mine tour is great, (but Salzburg also has salt mines.)
I did miss the gardens in bloom and the trees without leaves in late March. If the weather is cold, it feels like a gloomy winter day. If the sun is out and it's clear, it feels like spring. So much variability at that time of year.
Safe travels!

Posted by
4412 posts

Also note my recent post about doing the Wolfgangsee instead since the H place is so damned popular these days

Posted by
32213 posts

emily,

Early March may not be the best time to visit Hallstatt as it will likely still be a bit "chilly", especially at night. As another post mentioned, planning two nights there would be much better as one night won't provide much time to look around. It would also be a good idea to verify that hotels will be open at that time of year.

If you do decide to stay a night or two, you might consider this hotel - https://www.gruenerbaum.cc/en/ .

Posted by
4853 posts

Agree with Ken about the hotel if you decide to stay overnight. We spent a couple of nights there and were very pleased with the rooms and the restaurant.

Posted by
4412 posts

Be aware that per a post I saw recently, a lot of the restaurants in Hallstatt are cash-only for some reason. Perhaps some of the hotels as well.