Please sign in to post.

Hallstatt area (September 2014)

1) How many nights would you recommend spending on Lake Hallstatt? What towns are the best for lodging and a base? Hallstatt? Obertraun? Bad Ischl?

2) Is it easy to get from one town to the other in the evening? looks like there is ferry service in the day?

Any insight will be much appreciated. I should add we will be head to Salzburg aftewards then on to Munich for the end of Octoberfest and my friend's wedding.

Posted by
19092 posts

I was in Hallstatt for two nights - an evening and a whole day. That was enough, but not too much time, for me.

I would just spend the evening in Hallstatt; no need to go to the other towns.

I stayed in Lahn, a km south of Hallstatt. I think it is a good base. It's at the bottom of the incline to the salt mine and a short walk into town along the lake road. There is a regular bus from Lahn to Obertraun.

Posted by
16893 posts

I have stayed in Hallstatt itself for two nights on my own, or one night with a tour. It's lovely. With the salt mine, wandering the town, and relaxing, I did not need to go anywhere else.

Posted by
191 posts

We just drove through Hallstatt on our way from Graz to Salzburg last week. I would recomend staying in Hallstatt or Obertraun as Bad Ischl was a little bit of a drive.

Posted by
328 posts

If you decide to stay in Obertraun, I can highly recommend Haus Hepi. It is owned by a youngish British couple who transplanted to Austria to open their inn. Larry is a great cook and prepares a 3 course dinner most nights for any guest who wants it. Each morning they were ready in the breakfast room with lots of guides and information to help everyone plan whatever it was that they wanted to do that day. We had a car so I can't tell you how easy it would be to get to and from Hallstatt in the evening.

On one of our full days there we walked from Obertraun to the ferry that takes you to Hallstatt, visited Hallstatt, then walked back. It was a great day.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
64 posts

In Sept of 2012 we stayed in Obertraun at the apartment Hotel Seerose. Nice place, nice couple running it. About a 2 block walk from the train station. Also close to a ferry dock on the lake.
We actually walked from there to Hallstatt ( about 45 - 60 min) and back. (We had just turned 60 and are not fitness freaks but enjoy walking.) Nice walk around the lake, some of it next to the lake and some along the road. Easy walk. Next to the hotel is a small mom-and-pop pizza place. As it was raining that night we went there for pizza and beer.
When we walked in it was obvious to everyone else there we were the " non-locals." By the end of the night we had made about 2 dozen new best friends. One of our best memories of out last trip.

Posted by
208 posts

Hallstatt is a place you won't ever forget, but one night is plenty. As long as you have a full day there for the sights and the beauty of the area that should be enough.

Posted by
32198 posts

jeff,

I'd suggest two nights in Hallstatt, as one night wouldn't really allow much time to look around. You'd likely arrive about mid-day and have only that afternoon and evening. The following morning you'd check out after breakfast and then depart. OTOH, with two nights you'd be able to visit the Museum or the Churches on arrival day and do a bit of exploration. On the following day you could take the Funicular up the hill and take the Salt Mine tour.

The scenery is September should be beautiful, so make sure you have lots of capacity on your Camera memory cards!