Please sign in to post.

Hallstatt

Is Hallstatt a good home base to explore that region of Austria. Was planning about 1 week in Hallstatt and doing some hiking and day trips to Salzburg ECT.

Posted by
16893 posts

Will you travel by car or train? How far afield would you like to day trip? Trains from Hallstatt to Salzburg take about 2.5 hours each way. Hallstatt and neighboring Bad Ischl are not on a main east-west line, so most longer train rides require a connection at Attnang-Puchheim (north) or Stainach-Irdning (south). How to Look Up Train Schedules Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it.

Posted by
19092 posts

Much as I loved Hallstatt, I would suggest Salzburg instead. I don't think there is much more than a days worth of stuff to see in Salzburg, itself, but it's not that hard to get to Hallstatt for a day, or to other places in the Salzkammergut. Also access to Werfen and Berchtesgaden, even Herrenchiemsee.

Or, for a little less cost, find a place in Freilassing across the river from Salzburg and a train hub to Berchtesgaden.

Posted by
328 posts

When we visited Hallstatt a few years ago we stayed in Obertraun, just around the lake from Hallstatt. We stayed at Haus Hepi and two of the other couples staying there were in the area for at least a week - one traveling by train and the other by bike - and were doing a lot of hiking and other day trips. Each morning the owners of Haus Hepi (Larry & Lisa) would greet everyone in the breakfast room and ask them what their plans were for the day. Then Larry would then help with suggestions and logistics on what to see, where to hike and how to get there. He'd provide everyone with any relevant tourist literature and print out train schedules. It was like having your own private tour coordinator. I know both of those couples had no difficulty filling their week in the Salzkammergut.

I would actually recommend staying in Obertraun. It's located directly on the rail line, where to get to the train from Hallstatt you have to take the ferry across the lake. Obertraun is very convent to Hallstatt either by train and then the ferry, by car, or by walking about 20-30mins and then taking the ferry. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend Haus Hepi, either. It's owned by a young British couple who fell in love with the area and decided to live there permanently. Larry is a great chef and cooks dinner many nights, too!

Posted by
19092 posts

"Obertraun is very conve[nie]nt to Hallstatt"

There is an hourly bus (about 4 minutes) from Obertraun to Lahn, which is at the south end of the car tunnel around Hallstatt, a ¾ km or so walk along the lakeside road to Hallstatt.

Posted by
32201 posts

carmela,

To answer your original question, Hallstatt would not be a good "home base" (IMO) for exploring that part of Austria (especially if using public transport) as the transit connections are a bit "challenging". In order to take the train, you first have to cross the lake on Stefanie (about 15 minutes) and once on the train, there's usually a connection required in Attnang-Pucheim (depending on which direction you're travelling). Travelling via rental car will provide a bit more flexibility, however you won't be able to drive in Hallstatt so will have to park in Lahn and walk (with luggage) to your hotel.

You could stay in Obertraun as the others have mentioned, or stay in Salzburg (which is probably a better home base) and just take a one or two night jaunt to Hallstatt. Two nights is ideal (again IMO) as by the time you arrive, it will likely be mid-afternoon which will allow you to briefly explore the town, the Churches and perhaps the Museum. The following day you can take the Funicular up the hill and take the very interesting Salt MIne tour (slight hike up through the woods required). On the way down, you could stop at Rudolfsturm (a Castle at the top of the Funicular) for a nice lunch on the patio with some fantastic views! After lunch either take the Funicular back down or hike down. I've never tried the hike so not sure how difficult it is, but at least it will be all downhill.