Please sign in to post.

Hallstatt

I have three nights in Vienna and two nights in Salzburg. I wanted to visit Hallstatt and am confused whether I should rent a car and drop in at Hallstatt on the way to Salzburg, spend a few hours there and then proceed to Salzburg OR take a day trip from Salzburg on a bus tour to Hallstatt on the second day. In the second option I would get only half a day to spend at Salzburg on the day I arrive from Vienna. Would that be enough for Salzburg? Or should I go with the first option?

Posted by
19092 posts

I saw everything I wanted to see in Salzburg in a day, so I think at half day when you arrive and the next day would be plenty.

Hallstatt is on the way to Salzburg from Vienna, so I certainly wouldn't backtrack on a bus tour to see it.

But if I were doing it, I would plan to spend a night in Hallstatt. With part of a day to get to Hallstatt and part of a day to get to Salzburg, a stop on the way wouldn't give you much time there. A few years ago, I arrived in the late afternoon, spent the night and the next day in Hallstatt, then a second night and left the next morning. I felt that that was about right, although I wasn't interested in, and didn't take, the salt mine tour.

Posted by
16893 posts

I agree with Lee's suggestion to spend one night in Hallstatt and one night in Salzburg. You don't need a car for either or bus; train schedules are pretty frequent and don't require reservations. How to Look Up Train Schedules Online gives you the DB train schedule link and tips for using it.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you Lee. I think I will pass by Hallstatt on the way to Salzburg even though I'd like to spend a night there and two in Salzburg but can't because all my travel arrangements are fixed and interlinked.

Posted by
2903 posts

Hi,

I think stopping by will be fine. We visited Hallstatt in October a few years back and found a few hours was all that was needed.