Please sign in to post.
Posted by
5382 posts

I’m sure it’s already cleaned up. Notable that this occurred in the region of Salzburg, not the city of Salzburg.

Posted by
1428 posts

Thanks for the update. I will be in Salzburg later this year and hope that everything is ok by then. Fingers crossed.

Posted by
5382 posts

Everything is ok today. Save your worry for something else.

Posted by
500 posts

Well, I was driving to Bad Ischl on Tuesday, when around 6pm a big storm caught us in Gmunden, forcing us to stop in a supermarket parking for half an hour. In spite of being in several floodings in my life, I do not recall many storms as intense. When the rain stopped, we found the Gmunden Esplanade was flooded so we could not reach Bad Ischl. From a check on Google maps, alternative itineraries seemed problematic as well, so we headed to Salzburg instead and spent the night there.

When I was driving at the Esplanade, I had a bus on my back so I told myself, let it pass and see if it can get through. The bus stopped a short way from there, I saw a photo of the same bus stuck in the middle of water the following day on an Austrian news website.

Posted by
5382 posts

Yes, rain in the mountains can be intense, but the Austrians are great at quickly setting everything right again. Freak rainfall happens everywhere and should not be a primary worry to the passing through traveler.