Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Salzburg

My husband and I will be traveling to Salzburg on 6th May and staying for 3 full days (excluding travel). We have booked a half-day tour to Hallstatt and plan to use about 1.5 days exploring Salzburg (Hohensalzburg fortress, Old Town, Cathedral, Mirabell gardens). We have 1 more day which we would love to use for exploring the nearby area. Have read about a few options like - Konigsee, Eagle's nest, Zell am see, but confused which one is a better option for a day trip using public transport. We prefer nature over art/museums and absolutely love lakes & boat rides. Also, we will be using public transport for these trips and prefer walking as well! Request your recommendations please. Any recommendations on the overall plan are also welcome. Thanks!

Posted by
865 posts

Berchtesgaden is just south of Salzburg and an easy trip.

Posted by
1293 posts

Weather would be a deciding factor for you to go or stay in Salzburg. There is bus transportation to the Königsse. Sorry but I cannot give you the details. I recommend the electric boat on Königsse to the Obersee. Hike to the Fischunkelalm. The hike has some rough places. Wear good shoes. Be prepared for a rain shower. The Alm will probably not be open this early (no cows either). Do it anyhow. I've been there in early May. On a beautifully blue sky day the view from the Fischunkelalm back towards the Königsse is stunning. You won't forget it. Quiet too. It would be a long day.

Posted by
865 posts

Let's guess that you will purchase a Salzburg pass. This will allow you a free ride on city transport as well as the Untersburgbahn.
https://www.untersbergbahn.at/
Another great getaway to nature that will cost you nothing as part of the Salzburg Pass is taking Bus 151 to the Gaisbergspitze. More fantastic views as well as a spot for lunch or snack at Kohlmayr's.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you everyone. This is really helpful. We are planning to visit Berchtesgaden and Konigsee. I was trying to book the bus 840 for 7th May from OBB website, however it says "Ticket not available". Does this mean its only available to buy in-person or that all tickets are sold out already? Are there any other websites I should check?

Posted by
2333 posts

Bus #840 is a joint venture between a subsidiary of DB and a Salzburg bus company. It is possible that ÖBB only shows the timetable but does not sell tickets. Simply buy your ticket from the bus driver (platform J).

Posted by
4412 posts

When I took the bus from Salzburg to St Gilgen, it started from the train station so naturally I assumed they would have a ticket office inside. Nope. The guy at the info desk said just buy your ticket from the bus driver, which is what I did. I think if I had more time I could have used a ticket machine at the bus stop as well.

Coming back I owed some money on my ticket and again I paid the driver.

Also FWIW

https://www.bigboytravel.com/germany/berchtesgaden/gettingtoberchtesgaden/

Posted by
416 posts

I'm a bit baffled by the concept of a "half day" trip to Hallstatt. It's 3 hours round trip. Sure it's a pretty drive through the mountains, but why spend 3 hours in a bus with maybe only 1 or 2 hours in Hallstatt? Download the same pics throngs of tourists take every day and enjoy the area around Salzburg. You've already mentioned enough to fill more than 3 days. Both Berchtesgaden and Konigsee are on the bus route. You don't need advance bus tickets.

Konigsee boat ride to the old church
Jennerbahn gondola ride
Salt mine
Nazi sites

Posted by
4710 posts

If I remember correctly, the #840 bus is a German bus serving that area of Austria, and B'gaden is in Germany, thus you pay the driver directly. It's just like a city bus. You can catch it at stops outside the old town. It makes for a very beautiful day trip. ( There's also the salt mines, along the way.) Email the local TI, they should have the schedule.
You buy bus tickets for Austrian buses, that's the difference. The #840 is a German bus.
Enjoy!

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you so much for your helpful tips. Its such a relief to know bus tickets can be bought on the bus, I really thought I have missed the bus (pun intended)!