Please sign in to post.

Critique my Itinerary (May 2019 - Tyrol/Salzburg)

This is will be my second trip to Europe but my first time in Austria. After booking an amazing airfare deal online, I decided to go ahead and make this happen. To give some background I am 30 years old and will be traveling with my parents in their late 50’s - all in good health. I only have a week to travel (4/30-5/7) so here is my 7 day itinerary:

4/30: IAD > MUC (red eye - lose day due to time change)
5/1: Arrive in Munich. See Marienplatz and ? If weather cooperates possibly see Englischer Garten and enjoy a bier garten. Spend night in Munich.
5/2: Leave Munich and drive (rental car) to Alpbach for the day. Spend night in Tux.
5/3: Day trip to Merano, Italy. Return to Tux.
5/4: Leave Tux and drive to Salzburg. Sight see around Salzburg and spend night in Hallein.
5/5: Day trip to Hallstatt. 2nd night in Hallein
5:6: Leave Hallein > Dachau Memorial site. After touring Memorial go to Freising for lunch Weihenstephan Brauerei and see my Opa’s hometown of Landshut (my 2nd time there but my dad’s first — will be pretty special. Spend night in Munich.
5/7: Early flight MUC>IAD

Please make suggestions as you see fit and share concerns as well. I really like to travel in a “back door” style and would like to avoid the packaged, ultra touristy sites (ie: Hofbrauhaus, Sound of Music Tour, etc).

I have already booked rooms (Airbnb) in this way to make it a sort of “ring” trip where we start and end in Munich. However, my arrangements can be tweaked as I am still in the grace period to cancel my bookings. Also, as far as driving is concerned: I love daytrips and don’t mind being in a car for several hours - especially when surrounded by beautiful scenery. I am also aware that I need to purchase a vignette when crossing the border into Austria. Thank you, I look forward to reading your critiques and advice!!

Posted by
1906 posts

As you said, you are all in good health and don't mind spending a lot of time in a car, so for you it is a reasonable itinerary. You obviously planned your trip elaborately and exactly before posting it here, which is a rare exception.

Posted by
1529 posts

You plan is reasonable, personally I would do completely different things but it is a matter of personal preferences. My main observations:

• In spite of spending ten days each year in Innsbruck, we never had a day trip to Meran that looks deceptively close but isn't. Personally, I would spend the day in Innsbruck instead of driving all the way to Meran and back. Alpbach is nice but can be seen in an hour. Maybe your parents will like Rattenberg as well (home to a large number of glass souvenir shop, but small enough to be seen in a couple of hours).

• Again, in spite of having been may be more than 25 times in Salzburg, we never drove to Hallstatt when it was relatively unknown and now is simply too trafficked to be worthwhile. We prefer day trips to Bad Ischl, where the main sight is the large villa were Kaiser Franz Joseph and her wife Sissi spent their summer time.

Posted by
5384 posts

Keep in mind that May 1 is a public holiday.

With your timeframe, adding Tirol is too much with not much benefit. Alpbach? You look at it, take a picture and leave. Focus on Munich and Salzburg. Spend less time on the car. Hallein? Don’t really get that. Stay in Wolfgangsee area if you want something more rural. St. Gilgen, for example.

Posted by
1529 posts

If you prefer staying out of town, there is no reason to go all the way to Hallein or St. Gilgen, Wals or the more upper-end Anif have plenty of accommodation.