Please sign in to post.

Credit cards

Just back from a two week trip and I found credit cards in Austria (and then Munich) to be surprisingly complicated and unpredictable. This after recent trips to Paris and London where everything has changed over to tap and pay and it couldn’t be any simpler.

Every waiter/waitress has a terminal in a holster, you pay at your table. The wrinkle seems to be once the terminal realizes that you’re using an American based credit card, yes when the language on the gadget changes over to English you realize that has occurred. Sometimes the tap works, and you’re on your way. Sometimes it balks, and then you put your card chip-first into the slot. After that, sometimes a paper receipt pops out, and sometimes you need to sign it and sometimes not. In one case I was dining outdoors and had to follow the waitress inside where the master cash register printed out a receipt I had to sign.

The other catch is, it will often ask if you want to pay in euros or dollars and show two amounts. For those who don’t know, this is a controversial “feature” of using credit cards abroad called DCC that almost everyone recommends you skip.

I also noticed that Amex was widely accepted in Vienna and then once I started heading west the acceptance rate dropped – starting on the Westbahn train to Salzburg where I was trying to use a vending machine. I finally broke down and asked a nearby passenger for help, he translated the message on the machine saying no Amex. In fact I noticed that most stores in Salzburg had decals on their terminals that only said MC and Visa. So as always, make sure you bring a variety of cards from a variety of banks.

No one wanted a PIN, even when I used my Andrews FCU card that I got specifically to use in Europe because it was PIN enabled. The only time I needed a PIN was buying train tickets from a machine in Munich when I used my Schwab international travel debit card (I just thought it would register as a Visa card).

And not wishing to cause an international incident but … every time I used a credit card to pay for a meal the waiter would ask if I wanted to add a tip. It would appear on my receipt either labelled tip (so much for not being able to process that) or as a bar tab.

Posted by
8150 posts

You say that nobody wanted a PIN. I've run into instances where a PIN was required, and not everyone remembers their PIN on Visa/Mastercard accounts. I always make sure I know a PIN--just in case they're needed. I too carry two ATM's and two Visa cards--that are available and loaded with $.

You're more inclined to have to sign a printed receipt when using an American credit card. This happens very often to me in hotels, restaurants, etc. And when given the choice of paying with Euros or my home currency, I always choose Euros. There's no question which to use.

I used to carry an AMEX card, but as was noted they're getting less accepted. I once got a cash advance at an AMEX office, and they were really ripping people off on the currency exchange. I only get cash money out of bank ATM's--never at Travelex or AMEX. And all other expenses go on my Visa with a very high credit limit.

Posted by
89 posts

In August of this year, a waiter in vienna told me that after 5 card taps, the next one would force you to insert the card or swipe and sign. All part of card security. Made sense to me. Not sure if it is true.

Posted by
1914 posts

Card taps are restricted to low amounts, depending on the card type, between €25 and €50. For higher amounts your PIN is needed, independently how high is your card limit.

It is correct that after a certain number of taps you will be reqired to enter your PIN once again. This is to prevent using a stolen card very often with small amounts until it is canceled.

Posted by
18 posts

My wife and I got back yesterday from a month in Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, and Italy. Only one time during the trip was I asked to insert my card. About four times, I was asked to sign the receipt. We used the Capital One Quicksilver card and as soon as we paid the app on my phone would “ding”. whether we were asked, sign or not didn’t seem to have anything to do with the amount. Perhaps it comes down to the different portable credit card machines, and which processor the hotel or restaurant using.
In any event, we were pleasantly surprised about how easy it was to use our credit card. In fact, the only place we could not use our credit card was at Gelateria Emiliana in Split (which we couldn’t consider missing)

Posted by
2680 posts

For higher amounts your PIN is needed, independently how high is your
card limit.

This was not my experience. I was in Austria last year and never needed to enter a PIN. I don’t even have PINs for any of my credit cards. Whenever I was not able to tap and pay, I just inserted my card and signed a receipt.

I used my VISA to pay for everything, include my hotels.

Posted by
27138 posts

I'm assuming wmt1 is not from the US. The experience of US travelers is different, because most of us don't have PIN-priority cards.

Posted by
1684 posts

In Europe credit cards are now increasingly PIN-only. So encountering the need to sign a slip will indeed catch many off guard.

The latest set I got from my (Swiss) Bank don't even have a space to enter your signature. The traditional embossing is also absent, which of course has the added bonus of taking up less space in my wallet.
I have two credit cards, Master Card and Amex, and this specifically because I know that AMEX is not accepted as widely as Master Card.

Europe is quite a bit ahead of the US in this respect. Most Europeans have never seen a cheque, and I doubt few can still remember the time we had to sign when using a credit card...

Posted by
4853 posts

...every time I used a credit card to pay for a meal the waiter would ask if I wanted to add a tip.

Do you think it it was only because you were an american, or do you think the "tip culture" has totally corrupted what used to be the norm with regard to tipping in Europe?

Posted by
293 posts

About the tipping comment: not to inflame the tipping war, but speaking as a German who travels often to Austria, it is common for us to tip 5-10 % on restaurant meals (true also in Germany). And this has been true as long as I have been going to restaurants (and I am in my mid 40's). I cannot remember ever not tipping at all for a meal in Germany, to be honest.

When you pay with card or cash, you tell the server directly what you want the tip to be. So, the server comes over with the little machine, tells you that your lunch cost 13 Euro, and you say "Ok, 14 Euro then", and they type that into the machine and then you tap/insert the card.

So, I can actually imagine servers being used to English-speaking clients not understanding this system, and therefore asking about the tip. I would not be happy to be asked that, but I can see how it would happen.

Posted by
4412 posts

Yes TC I think once they've established you're an American they either a) know you'll be confused about whether to tip or not, or b) figure they should bring it up since it's a nice little bonus for them. Depending on your view of humanity.

I should also mention that I still saw a lot of cash changing hands, mostly by locals, it appears that Austria is still a cash or credit economy. Waiters ask if you're paying with cash or card and then show up either with a change purse or the machine. In fact, one of the biggest tourist attractions in town St. Stephens takes ONLY cash, which probably comes as a surprise to many tourists.

Posted by
350 posts

@WenGenK, wrote:

In Europe credit cards are now increasingly PIN-only. So encountering the need to sign a slip will indeed catch many off guard.
The latest set I got from my (Swiss) Bank don't even have a space to enter your signature. The traditional embossing is also absent, which of course has the added bonus of taking up less space in my wallet.

My Apple Card (issued by Goldman Sachs and is a MasterCard) also has no place for signature and also is not embossed. It also doesn't have a PIN. I asked for one and they said this card cannot be issued with a PIN. I recently travelled to Portugal and I used this card almost exclusively, using my Watch (digital wallet) to pay.

Posted by
350 posts

@Azra, interesting comments about tipping! I thought it was throughout Western Europe where tipping a restaurants was totally uncommon. I guess I'm wrong!

Posted by
14520 posts

Most definitely, you are going to find restaurants in heavily tourist areas Germany and Austria "cash only" as I did in Munich in the Viktualienmarkt large beer garden restaurant. No problem.

Upon seeing the bill, I told the waiter what I was going pay, ie, with the tip included. That way I pre-empted him/her from asking if I wanted to add a tip. I was never asked that question this time Germany or Austria when presented with bill. The waiter got that amount in cash.

Posted by
17944 posts

Azra, tipping is a long time norm here in Hungary as well. When ever a statement begins "in Europe ... " I have learned to quit reading as there is rarely a European norm in any subject.

Posted by
14520 posts

This last I trip I had no PIN on any of the three credit cards on me. True, the PIN was never asked. Only in Germany was it needed to buy train tickets, when paying with a credit card from a DB machine.

I called up to get a PIN, told them I needed a PIN for my trip. Most accommodating, least resistant to my request for the PIN was Capital One, the worst was BofA...well, I later terminated my cc with them...too bad.

Easy to get a PIN when you apply for a credit card, regardless if that is needed or not. However, you do have to tell the cc company that you indeed want a PIN, if "they" don't cooperate, are resistant to your request, well....

Posted by
4412 posts

But if you call your cc for a PIN, that's the PIN for a cash advance isn't it? Not the one to make the transaction go through in Europe.

Speaking of cards, I purposely have a credit card from Andrews FCU for use when travelling. I noticed this last time it didn't have touch to pay technology which I thought was odd, I called them and they said it was only offered on their top level Titanium card. Which is silly, but whatever.

Posted by
3519 posts

Yes, if you are working with a card issued in the US it will default to a credit card cash advance PIN (with a few noted exceptions). That PIN is not for making purchases! It probably won't do anything unless you are attempting to get a cash advance. Most banks have have no idea how to make them work any differently since most cards are designed to not require a PIN in US transactions.

Posted by
4412 posts

Per Investopedia:

It’s important to realize that Europe's credit card technology is far
more advanced, often using chip-and-PIN software. This means their
cards have an embedded chip that helps validate the card's physical
presence and legitimacy. Rather than signing a receipt, cardholders
often enter their four-digit PIN code to complete the transaction.
American banks have rapidly rolled out cards that have the chip due to
changes in fraud liability laws, but the PIN portion is often still
not the norm.

You may still get away with a standard American card, as long it has a
chip. If it doesn't, the merchant will likely ask for your PIN. If you
don’t know it—after all, PINs are rarely used for U.S. credit card
transactions—it’s a good idea to get the four-digit number from your
bank before embarking, or re-set it via telephone or computer to
something easy to remember.

Also, remember to notify your bank that you will be traveling
overseas. Many banks have enhanced their fraud detection protocols,
and if they notice suspicious activity, such as an ATM withdrawal in
Venice when you've never been there before, they could deactivate your
card out of an abundance of caution.

Posted by
14520 posts

I don't get a PIN for US transactions. The PIN I want is one that is made of 4 digits of my choice, not theirs. I don't do cash advances in the US, had to do that a couple of times in Europe this time since I negligently did not bring enough Euro with me....bad planning, very remiss in not bringing enough cash, etc. So, I lost $15 , basically enough for lunch. Now, all 3 cc I bring over are equipped with a PIN.

Using a cc with a PIN to buy a ticket from a DB machine that has no "tap" option works...no problems, transaction goes through. With DB machines I used both options...the "tap" option and the cc with the PIN option.

Posted by
159 posts

I think most us cards have a pin even if you dont know it. I have asked and it was sent in the mail. When you have that then you can change it to whatever you want. sue

Posted by
1684 posts

PIN is default in Europe. When you first get a card you will get a separate letter with our PIN (often protected in a way that allows you to verify that nobody else has read it).

My current pin is 6 digits (you can choose how long you make it) and I set it myself, as the first thing I do is head for an ATM, and use the "change my PIN" function to change from the one the bank generated for me to one I choose myself.