Please sign in to post.

Considering a trip to Austria Nov/Dec 2025

We are just starting to plan a trip to Austria, for us two grandparents, our son and daughter-in-law and two small grandchildren (one and three). We are planning about two weeks of travel.
We would probably fly in and out of Vienna. One of the places we would visit is Gaming, where my d-i-l grew up. She has some relatives there.
We would like to visit some Christmas markets, and perhaps visit Salzburg or Innsbruck.
As I mentioned, we are just beginning to think about this trip, and would love any suggestions as to

--places to visit in Austria (other than Gaming, which is a must)

--good lodging for the whole family,

--and recommendations for transportation. Apparently the train doesn't go all the way to Gaming, so renting a car for at least that portion of the trip would be necessary.

I know this is a bit vague, but you all are such a wealth of knowledge! Thanks so much.

Posted by
2163 posts

You don't need a car. You take a train to Amstetten, and from there bus 660 to Gaming.

Posted by
2549 posts

Look at staying in ferienwohnung - vacation apartments. You will need 2 and that could be a problem, but not impossible. Much less expensive than 3 rooms and more room.

Posted by
57 posts

Thank you for the replies!
Good to know that train and bus are an option to get to Gaming.
And I appreciate the lodging suggestions.

Posted by
1622 posts

I don't know enough about Gaming and its surroundings. However, given you have young children and a few of you, a car may be helpful. In fact, it's a must if you want to stay at Farmhouses that offer lodging. When choosing a farmstay, make sure to check the facilities and features. For example, some are home to farm animals and your grand kids will like them. Some, however, are just another inn converted from a former farmhouse. Choose carefully. It'll take a while to select one, but the process is a fun one.