Please sign in to post.

Christmas market trip austria 2020

Hello planning to see Christmas markets November or December. 2020 When do they start? is there a better month to go? (Less crowds if that even possible)Most memorable markets destination? Planning on Salzburg and Vienna. Any hints, must do’s and dont’s. Any info appreciated
Thank you!

Posted by
1585 posts

Hi Elaine,

Most Christmas markets in Vienna starts between November 15 and November 22. In Salzburg, it starts from November 22 and last until December 26. Last week of November would be an ideal time to go. As we get closer to Christmas, the more crowds will be visiting the markets. In Vienna, the top markets are Altwiener Christkindlmarkt, Freyung, Christmas Village, Altes AKH, Spittelberg Christmas Market, Christmas Market, Schloss Schönbrunn, and Weihnachtsmarkt Am Hof. For Salzburg, Christmas markets not to be missed are Christkindlmarkt, and Adventzauber at Hellbrunn Palace.

How many days are you planning to stay in Austria in 2020?

Posted by
68 posts

Hello thank you.! Based on your dates (possibly) NY to Vienna the November 18th, train to Salzburg on the 22nd , back to ny on November 26th (thanksgiving)

Posted by
1585 posts

That would be a great plan Elaine. As a fellow long islander to another, glad I could contribute in planning your Austrian itinerary and the fact that you will still return in time for Thanksgiving is awesome.

Posted by
2400 posts

I would check the dates for the cities you plan to go.

In 2017 I went on the RS Munich/Salzburg/Vienna tour and the Christmas Market in Munich had not yet started in late (27th) November. I think early December would be much safer.

Posted by
11 posts

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Austria earlier this week. Christmas markets were high on our list. You're welcome to message me but here is a rough outline of where we stayed and our itinerary. It was really perfect in every way! We didn't find them to be crowded in any way except we did note there were more people on Friday nights than other nights we attended. You need to take cash for sure but other than that I don't have any "don'ts." The trains from Vienna to Salzburg are super easy to figure out and a really nice and stress free way to travel.

Flew into Vienna 12/15 and stayed in Vienna until 12/19.
Stayed at this hotel and loved every minute. It is perfectly located to be within walking distance of the market at St. Stephens Cathedral and there are soooo many restaurants, cafes and shops within walking distance. This is an older hotel (i.e.not a big box chain hotel which we try to avoid) and the rooms are beautiful and stately. The breakfast at this hotel is amazing with a huge variety. They had 4-5 loaves of homemade bread out each morning and then at least 6-8 selections of local marmalades. Lots of fruits, meats and other fresh made breakfast options. https://www.austria-trend.at/de/hotels/astoria

We also visited Schonbrunn Palace for a tour, coffee and dessert on the grounds at the Cafe Gloriette (well worth the hike up from the palace!) The Christmas market in front of the palace has a good variety, great food options and lots of interesting stalls to browse.

We travelled to Salzburg by train for the next few days and stayed at an AirBNB that was just slightly up the hill (less than 3-5 minutes) from the Cathedral Square Christmas market. We did other Salzburg stuff (the fortress; a Sound of Music tour) during the day and then enjoyed walking in the markets in the evening.

Finally, we did an overnight trip to Hallstatt and then back to Vienna. It was an amazing trip and we are editing pictures now. Message me for questions! I'm so glad we went.

Posted by
1172 posts

I did the Christmas markets from December 7th to the 14 and loved every minute. I did Prague, Vienna and one day in Salzburg

• bring cash
  • take advantage of the mugs as cheap souvenirs: The first stall you stop at for a drink ( alcohol or not) you will pay a deposit on a mug usually 3 to 4 euros. When you leave you can return the mug and get your deposit back or keep it. Every market has a different mug.
  • bring a reusable shopping mag to put your purchases in
  • use public transportation. So easy.

Looking to try other market destinations in 2020!

Posted by
2911 posts

Hi Elaine,

Austria’s markets generally start before the ones in Germany. We went the week of Thanksgiving twice, leaving NJ the Monday of Thanksgiving week both times. It would be easier to fly home from Munich?

If you can, spend a day on the Wolfgangsee. Get to nearby St. Gilgen and board the lake ship. It will take you to Strobl and St. Wolfgang. Spend a little time in St. Gilgen afterwards. Its a really nice break from the cities. We did this a few years ago. You can simply relax on the ship with coffee, drinks, food, etc. while taking in the alpine scenery between stops. It’s a wonderful way to spend a day and see smaller, quainter villages and Advent markets.

https://www.wolfgangseer-advent.at/home.html

Paul

Posted by
68 posts

Such great advice!! Thank you all! I will message as we get closer. Happy healthy 2020

Posted by
1300 posts

We made it to Innsbruck this year 11 December for a day trip. Most of the Christkindlmärkte in Innsbruck begin mid November to include the small market in Hungerburg. We enjoyed tooling around the Altstadt, Marktplatz and took the Hungerburgbahn up for the views and small market there. The city was nicely lit for the holidays and there are many great cafes for a coffee and a Bier. The Inn valley with surrounding snow capped mountains is just beautiful. We actually stayed in the Stubaital and a bus trip into Innsbruck and back was easy.