Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Salzburg

My daughter, son in law, and myself will be staying In Salzburg for Christmas - the 23rd, 24th, and 25th. Apparently, many/most shops and restaurants will be closed. Are there suggestions for a nice Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner/lunch? We have a car. Any suggestions for ways to make it memorable?

Thanks

Posted by
5697 posts

The first time we visited Salzburg at Christmas we were concerned as well. We picked up snack food at a nearby grocery store, pigged out at breakfast on the 25th -- and then noticed a number of smaller ethnic restaurants open for dinner. For "memorable" meals you could try the bigger hotels.

www:Salzburg.info/en has a list of restaurants open on the 24/25/26 holidays -- some of them list special dinners which are pricier than I would like, but probably very festive.
Christmas markets may be open on the 24th -- I believe we also saw one on the 25th.

Posted by
5384 posts

23rd is a normal day.
24th is a normal morning and then things will close in the early afternoon. It is imperative that you make a dinner reservation. This is the day when Austrians celebrate.
25th is a public holiday so shops are closed. Dinner reservations are also imperative. A few more restaurants will be open this day.

The Billa grocery store at the train station is always open, even on holidays.

A car in a total pain in Salzburg and completely unnecessary.