Please sign in to post.

Christmas 2015

My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe for our 40th anniversary during the 2015 Christmas season. After reviews and books, I am still confused to how to narrow our trip for a relaxing, eventful Christmas vacation for 14-21 days prior to Christmas Day. We are I our 60's but active. We enjoy staying several nights in one location. Our emphasis this trip is the holiday markets, lights, and cultural events the season has to offer. At the moment I am looking at Paris, Strasbourg, Nurnberg or Dresden, Prague, and Vienna. I feel that this is too scattered and any input would be valuable at this time. Thank you!

Posted by
17908 posts

You picked a good part of the world for the holiday. We have spent a couple of Christmas seasons in the region and I love it. But I like classical music, opera, theater, the markets, the food, the cold and the hope for snow (didn't get any last year - sad). My preference would be the Dresden, Prauge, Vienna route because I just enjoy Central Europe. I love Paris too, but I love Paris in warmer weather. Central Europe does COLD better. And to be truly honest, if you make it in 21 days I would add Budapest.

Posted by
29 posts

We just booked a Christmas Markets River Cruise. It will visit Budapest, Vienna, Passua, Salzburg, Slovaika, Krems, etc..There are many different one that include all of the cities you mention. You can also add pre or post cruises to Prague to the one above I mention. The beauty of the River Cruise is that you are not packing and unpacking every couple days. We booked with Uniworld which is all inclusive. It is a good mix of included excursions and free time to DiY. I've heard wonderful reviews about AMA and Tauck as well. If you picked an 8-10 day itinerary with 3-4 days post and pre cruise say with Prague and Budapest it could be a wonderful trip to maximize the number of markets you will see. Good luck planning.

Posted by
5382 posts

I agree with James on focusing on Central Europe. I would add that you should throw in some smaller towns and villages, such as Salzburg, St. Wolfgang/Wolfgangsee. You could easily spend 5 days in Vienna as there are at least 8 markets worth checking out, in my opinion.

Posted by
15582 posts

You can take the high-speed TGV train from Paris to Strasbourg or Colmar. Alsace does Christmas especially well - every town has lots going on. I only got to Strasbourg and Colmar (my favorite). I recommend staying in Colmar, smaller, quainter. Then train from Strasbourg to Stuttgart to go to nearby Esslingen for their medieval market - not to be missed!

The markets don't get going until early afternoon, so you'll have lots of sightseeing time as well.