Please sign in to post.

Budapest-Vienna-Prague -- with kids

We're planning to visit family in Hungary and am hoping to get some recommendations for length of stay in certain cities. First, we plan to travel summer 2016, end of June or early July. Right now I'm thinking:
Budapest - 3 days
Vienna - 3 days
Prague - 3 days
All this of course with two children, ages 10 and 8.
Also, is taking the train or renting a car a better idea?

Thanks

Posted by
8125 posts

We went on this route last year, and spent two nights at Bratislava, Slovakia. I'd suggest 4 days minimum in Budapest and Vienna and 3 days in Prague. It's easiest to just go by train as you're traveling in a straight line.

Posted by
4637 posts

I would say at least three full days for each of these cities, i.e. 4 nights. If you go just for the cities then train. Car is a big hassle in the cities.

Posted by
398 posts

We did the reverse trip in May 2014. We had three nights in each city, which we found to be enough (not that we wouldn't have wanted longer). But we didn't have children, so we are able to push hard and see and do as much as we wanted all day and night. So if you can swing it, I would try to do four nights in each city so that you have three full days in each.

Train is definitely easier than renting a car. The train prices are cheap, and the trains are in excellent condition. If you rented a car, you'd have a hassle to deal with in the cities, and there is a hefty fee for picking a car up in one country and dropping it off in another.