Please sign in to post.

Booking train tickets

I am going to Austria in late July. Is it recommended to book train tickets in advance or can I reserve them at the station. I've noticed that on Rail Europe the prices are $100 but if I go directly to the OBB website, they're around 30 euros. Could they be cheaper at the station the day of? The routes I am considering are Feldkirch to Innsbruck and Innsbruck to Vienna. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted by
20031 posts

I would not even look at Rail Europe, they only show you expensive tickets they can make money on. Use the OEBB site. Recently, it seems like American Express is the only thing that works.
If the the price on OEBB says Sparschiene or Saver ticket, that is an advance purchase discount price for a particular train or itinerary. Its like an airline ticket, miss the train and ticket is no longer valid. At the station on day of travel, you will pay full price, just like an airline ticket.

For instance, for August 9, tickets are 9 EUR for Feldkirch to Innsbruck for advance purchase nonrefundable Saver ticket, but 32.10 EUR for a fully refundable ticket. For Innsbruck to Vienna, it is 24 EUR in advance Saver ticket, and 70.80 EUR for a refundable ticket.